Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I passed my 60th B-day awhile ago and am feeling out of shape. Recently, I dug up my older BEAR compound bow from storage and found it's 70 lb. draw weight to be too much for me. So I'm doing push ups to get back into shape. I used to love shooting arrows for fun with this vintage bow. But for actual hunting I'm sold on my 10 Point crossbow. It's very accurate and easy to strike consistent bulls eyes.

I figure it will take a month of exercises to get back into shape for shooting arrows. Otherwise, I'll have to pay a Pro Shop to reduce the poundage. I hate to admit that my body is ageing.

Any other archers feeling out of shape for this sport?

TR

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I used a use a bow when young, started in my teens. I had an English longbow in Yew and I am pretty sure if I tried to draw it today, at 62 I would pull something more than the bow string. In fact, I was tempted last weekend. I visited a gun range and some guys had set up an archery range to the side. I watched for a while, and almost walked over to have a try. Maybe next time.

If you are into bows and know weights, there were hundreds of longbows recovered from the wreck of the Mary Rose, sank in 1545. Weights tested out between 150 lbs and 180 lbs! Also, the bones of some of those soldiers recovered showed a huge difference between right and left sides, effected by using bows almost from childhood. Truly amazing.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
70# draw is a lot of weight. Even in my forties, I was only able to draw 70# a few times before I tired. At 53, I now only use a max draw of 60# for practice and hunting.
As a medical professional, I would suggest using a lighter poundage. You may get the strength back to draw that heavy weight, but your body may say " I cannot handle that stress". That's when tendons, cartilage and other structures get torn up.
The newer bows are much nicer to draw and shoot at lighter weights and give you just as much punch and speed as ones that had heavy draw years ago. They could be had for just a couple hundred dollars used.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My buddy suggested that I look into a device named Draw-Loc. It turns your bow into a crossbow, sort of. Maybe I'll try that in 6 weeks if I can't get into shape by then.

TR

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
Back nearly 20 years ago, when I was hunting with a 55 lb recurve, bow fishing with a 50 lb recurve, and sometimes hunted with a 70 compound, a fellow handed me his compound bow to admire. Did I say he was a big long arm fellow? We were setting around the fire at night as usual, when he brought it out and said to me. "Here, tug on this one." I tested a bit and could tell it was a heavy one. I pulled on it and soon realized I was going to have trouble, but I just pulled harder. Everyone there heard both of my shoulder pop (especially me) just as it broke over. I eased it back down as best I could while he was roaring with laughter. I asked "Dang Tony, what is that thing set on?" He says "90 lbs". Whew, I wouldn't want to try a 150 pounder! He was a competition shooter used to shooting long range targets. I made him do it just to make sure I wasn't being pranked. He did it a lot easier than I did, but he hadn't shot it in a while either.

I have a 50 lb recurve bowfishing rig and a 50 lb hunting recurve and then there's a 28lb recurve. It's the only one I would try to shoot right now, without a few push ups myself. 60 in November here.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't know what you are hunting, but for deer you only need about 45#. I switched from a compound to long bows years ago. It is just more fun shooting. And a lot of people who shoot heavy bows regularly end up wrecking their shoulders.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
43 lb. pull recurve + cedar shaft + sharp broadhead = complete pass through and dead deer and no pulled muscles,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
I have two jacked-up shoulders, had major rotator cuff surgery on my right. Got no desire to monkey with bows, thank you!

Hell, I put together a new gas grill 2 weeks ago, and my lower back has been screaming ever since. I'm scared to death about what I might have done to it......

·
Registered
20,164 Posts
With a couple stiff shoulders, the compound has been sitting in the rack for a few years and no plans to pull it down any time soon!

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
I’m 61 and the last couple years I have cut back on my archery pre-season target practice. Shoulders, elbow and back issues have forced me to change my training from my early days when I’d shoot 30-50 arrows a session 3-4x a week. Now it’s 2-10 arrows a session. My compound is set at mid50# at 65% let off. Still hunt out of permanent tree stands and have got at least one deer for the last 8 years, but I’m thinking a lot more about how long this will last. Getting old s**ks but it beats the alternative.

·
Registered
24,252 Posts
I’m 61 and the last couple years I have cut back on my archery pre-season target practice. Shoulders, elbow and back issues have forced me to change my training from my early days when I’d shoot 30-50 arrows a session 3-4x a week. Now it’s 2-10 arrows a session. My compound is set at mid50# at 65% let off. Still hunt out of permanent tree stands and have got at least one deer for the last 8 years, but I’m thinking a lot more about how long this will last. Getting old s**ks but it beats the alternative.
My uncle told me this before he passed. GOLDEN YEARS! FOOLS GOLD!

·
Registered
828 Posts
70# draw is a lot of weight. Even in my forties, I was only able to draw 70# a few times before I tired. At 53, I now only use a max draw of 60# for practice and hunting.
As a medical professional, I would suggest using a lighter poundage. You may get the strength back to draw that heavy weight, but your body may say " I cannot handle that stress". That's when tendons, cartilage and other structures get torn up.
The newer bows are much nicer to draw and shoot at lighter weights and give you just as much punch and speed as ones that had heavy draw years ago. They could be had for just a couple hundred dollars used.
Andrew
Medical professionals are the bane of old lions.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Everyone has their limit. Know your body. As we get older, we can't do the same things we use to. Healing also take longer compared to when we were younger.

I hunt with a 70# compound & a 50# recurve (had a 40# recurve). I lift on a daily bases, but I know there will come a day when I will have to downgrade.

Shoot what you're comfortable with.

·
Super Moderator
12,000 Posts
I passed my 60th B-day awhile ago and am feeling out of shape. Recently, I dug up my older BEAR compound bow from storage and found it's 70 lb. draw weight to be too much for me. So I'm doing push ups to get back into shape. I used to love shooting arrows for fun with this vintage bow. But for actual hunting I'm sold on my 10 Point crossbow. It's very accurate and easy to strike consistent bulls eyes.

I figure it will take a month of exercises to get back into shape for shooting arrows. Otherwise, I'll have to pay a Pro Shop to reduce the poundage. I hate to admit that my body is ageing.

Any other archers feeling out of shape for this sport?

TR
Fight it T.R. Should be do'n that anyway. Close'n in on 65, hurts you bet, no plans on stop'n. .............shoot for use'n the 70lbs.

John

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
I'm not a Bow hunter, but as others have Posted, we have to work at getting and being in shape. At age 70 I have to exercise every day or else I stand to injury myself when I'm out in the woods. I walk at a good pace, ride an exercise bicycle and lift light dumbbells. If/when I slack off, I pay for it in the woods. One slip and fall accident could put me in big trouble.

Mike T.

·
Registered
21,375 Posts
Ahh, it was great to be young, once.

I'm turning 68 years of age on the 15th of July, and I still have the 52", 50lb. (draw weight) Fred Bear Kodiak Magnum Recurve bow, (a southpaw version) I bought when I was 18! I think I paid the full price of $89 at the time. It's limbs are still true, and it flexes well whenever I string it up to see how long I can hold a full draw. Oh, yeah, full draw - in my dreams!

I'm not worried about it exploding into pieces since I always kept in go working order and not in a place where the atmospheric conditions would dry it out, that would cause the laminates to separate and weaken.

I did have that experience once. A friend asked me to string his bow (this was before the advent of compound bows). I wasn't familiar with his bow, I think it was a (Ben Pearson?), and as I flexed it to full draw, it simply shattered in my hands. Scratch one dried out recurve bow. No injuries suffered to me. Good thing.

About five minutes worth then it's on to the inhaler.

Who knows, in my second life, I may just take it up - again!

Gr8rtst.

Reactions: M700 and miket156
1 - 20 of 23 Posts