Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old tube fed Stevens .22lr. It is tube fed, and bolt action. It is not an 87, it seems to be possibly the predecessor to that. It has a curved steel butt plate. I'd guess from looking at the design, it was made between 1920 and 1950. It has no serial numbers, and no model number that I can find. It says Stevens, and list the caliber as .22 short, long or long rifle. I can find no other markings whatsoever.

It is missing the magazine tube (phone call to Numrich should help). More importantly, it has a tight chamber due to corrosion (I believe). I think a few gentle passes from a reamer will remove the corrosion. I have fired it from a bench with a string, and it shoots fine, but won't eject a shell without a pocket knife or screw driver and some cussin'.

It is a nice looking old gun, though the years have not been kind to it. It had heavy corrosion (though surprisingly little pitting) on the outside. The initials of several kids has been carved into the walnut stock. My problems are I don't know what model it is (for ordering parts) and I can seem to figure out how to remove the bolt. The bolt is fixed to a strange looking piece that feeds shells up from the magazine tube, and the piece rides with the bolt as it cycles. Odd looking at the least.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I may can get a pic or two up when SWMBO gets home this evening. The gun needs a lot of work, and I have a lot of other irons in the fire, but it seems too neat to just throw away.

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, been lucky enough to be busy with work! ;D
It does seem to be some variant or direct predecessor to the 66. The safety is different from the only model 66 I could find a picture of. I can't seem to get the bolt out. I had hoped to buy, borrow, or rent a .22 reamer, remove the bolt, and hand ream the corrosion (?) away. But the bolt seems to not want to leave the gun. Also, the tube is missing, but I bet Numrich has one or a similar one that will work. It is just and old beater of a .22, but it has a steel butt plate and a walnut stock, and it seems a shame to throw away an old, 'real' American gun from days gone by. The exterior of the barrel has corroded so much that all words other than Stevens has faded away. There are no serial numbers (common before the 1960's I believe). I'll try and post a pic or two if I get time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 22 bolt action tube feed short long longriflle. This is the pictures. It has no model # or serial#.
Wood Textile Interior design Floor Flooring

Musical instrument accessory Wood Musical instrument Electronic instrument Music

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Gas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts