Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to ride a '69 BSA the other day. I was asked by a friend to ferry it about 20 miles for him. I really loved the sound but the right foot shift lever took a lot of getting used to. At least the clutch lever was on the left. Around town the power was nice and snappy but on the freeway it topped out fast. Going over a 4500' summit was and exercise in patience. It was small and light and handled well. The vibrations were not obnoxious unless my foot was touching the engine. Of course it leaked a little bit of oil but nothing that couldn't be cleaned with a quick wipe of a rag. Overall a great bike for around town and country roads but I'm glad I have a new one as my own. I also saw the XS 650 yamaha in town - a great restoration. I remember so many of these done up in quasi chopper black/ gold 'midnight special' trim. It was nice to see this one done cafe style. Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Green Mode of transport
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
A neighbor of mine up the road has a Norton 750 Commando, I don't know the vintage but has to be pre-1973. He rides it around out here in the country. Even has a pudding bowl helmet and old leather goggles to complete the theme.

I too still have a fond place in my heart for the old wire spoke wheel XS650 Yamahas. Mostly because Kenny Roberts beat the Harleys with one on flat tracks in 1972.

Sorry about the thread drift.

Motorcycle racer Motorcycle Vehicle Motorcycling Motorsport

·
Registered
910 Posts
while at china lake cal. in the mid 60s i had 750 royal infield and my best friend had a 650 bsa, we loved those old bikes. he had written in script on the sides of his tank (triumph breakfast of champions)

Reactions: kybob

·
Registered
395 Posts
cool ride
but I agree, the old one's are not all that many hype them up to be
sure there are classic's and some ride fairly well, and have that look that can maybe help over look ride
But me, I like the newer bikes, both ride, power, and stopping
but all bikes seems to be fun for a while behind the bars, how long depends on a lot of things LOl

·
Registered
910 Posts
most of them, when the rubber wore off the foot pegs (always did) you could not keep your feet on the pegs or see anything in the mirrors at highway speed from the vibrations, but i still loved them. and a drip pan was handy

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just came across this thread late. I lived with a BSA for 11 years. Mine was a 650 which has significant more grunt than the A50 (500cc). I loved that bike and even though it was in pretty good shape at one point disasembled it into atoms and restored it in like new condition except I kept the original paint. I actually photocopied every single nut and bolt in my office to keep track of where everything went! Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Tire
Electronics Technology Electronic device Electronic component

Eventually sold it to finance another bike.
Here are a few pics of it. Fond memories.

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
nice lookin' bike

·
Registered
4 Posts
>>Got to ride a '69 BSA the other day. I was asked by a friend to ferry it about 20 miles for him. I really loved the sound but the right foot shift lever took a lot of getting used to<<

Old thread I know, but I used to have this same BSA in '68 form. Shifting on the right did take some getting used to, but at least this one was "down for first". I've also had several other Brit bikes that were right shift, "up for first". It really got confusing when you had them both, which I did. I've owned 14 BSAs over the years, and countless other Brit bikes, and while I wouldn't mind having one for nostalgia's sake I'd rather tool around on my Suzuki V-Strom at this point in my life. :) (plus my retro Honda Helix)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.