Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased stevewhr's 45-70 cowboy and was taking stock of my reloading supplies. I am a rookie reloader. I have a box of 1000 old remington kleanbore primers No. 9 1/2. I do not know how old they are. Price on end of box reflects 9.95 looks like it was marked up from 8 something. Inside the flap of the individual boxes is 393-5061. Is this a date code? I am wanting to start working up a load for the long range dinger ringing. Should I use these primers? Would they act differently than newer primers? I got these and several boxes of pistol primers when i purchased my first used reloading press. The pistol primers are CCI and they are still ok.

Thanks Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Seat a few in some empty cases and see if they go bang, if they do, load a few rounds, test, and if there fine, load lots!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advise.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
starrbow gave some good advice - typically, primers dont go bad - they have to be exposed to a contaminent of some kind....a change in primer/powder/bullet or case requires a new work up for your load....

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Just priced some Rem 9 1/2s at the LGS. $32.99

I've used milsurp primers from WWII and they all went bang.

·
Super Moderator
5,555 Posts
would it be a good idea to flush the barrel good if you did pop a few empty hull primers ... especially older style primers?

Just asking from being a bit cautious.

JD

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have not tried them hopefully they go bang. Life is kinda in the way for several days. May get some time in the evenings.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I just purchased stevewhr's 45-70 cowboy and was taking stock of my reloading supplies. I am a rookie reloader. I have a box of 1000 old remington kleanbore primers No. 9 1/2. I do not know how old they are. Price on end of box reflects 9.95 looks like it was marked up from 8 something.
I remember when primers were $1/100, but I'm thinking early 60's or so. Not only that, you could buy all you wanted, any time you ran out. !!

If they were stored in a reasonable manner, they are fine. In the back of uncle Joe's old caddy, not so much.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Once went to a town wide yard sale in Howard City, Michigan back in the mid 90s, bought 10,000 milsurp primers for $10. Loaded a lot of practice ammo with them and sold half of them to a friend. All went bang.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts