Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this 39 A serial # B77XX up over the winter and all I did when got it home was to see if it shot. Had a couple hang ups feeding but know what that problem is,( shell tube outta whack) someone had Jerry Rigged a permanent hammer extension on it and not sure how they attached the Weaver model 298. And looks like the leaded over a spot in the barrel just ahead or receiver for some reason. I bought a "lot" of Marlin parts and it had a hammer in it so I switched them today and ran a tube thru it , all worked well even though hammer was probably 50 yrs newer. She was pretty dry inside and I thought I would give it a through cleaning but had to head back to work. At work I had a idea to put it all back together as I got it and shoot a tube of shells thru it at 25 yd target and then tear her down and give her a good scrubbing oil it and shoot another 25 yd target. Well it really didn't amaze me much as Marlins are so accurate but the old scope was right on and I ran 17 rounds thru it and only the last shell hung up had to break it apart cleared the shell , put it back together then shoot the shell. This was shot sitting on a busted in two cement block, no rest ,no bench ,just Me and my Marlin. Pretty cool for a late 30's maybe early 40's relic.
Pictures worth a thousand words. ;D looky at that group.. :eek:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: Old N Ugly , But A Goodie !!!!

Wow! Someone else knows Jerry Rigged. Jerry has a job that either gets a lot of praise or a lot of grief.... Jerry has worked for our family farm a lot of times, however, his work is fairly cheap, most of the time when he has left, we grumble " we shoulda fixed it right the first time". lol

Jerry also has a disclaimer on his bill that states in ultra fine print, " the work performed on this statement is by no means a permanent fix and should be fixed like it should be as soon as possible"

Nice relic you picked up. :)

Dan

·
Registered
462 Posts

bowhunter472401 said:
Wow! Someone else knows Jerry Rigged.
I bet that old rifle could tell a story or two. It looks to me like somebody really went out of their way to set it up. I'm guessing there wasn't any source of parts back then so they did what they could to make it work.

I wouldn't change anything about it at all. It's a veteran!

I looked up the term "Jerry Rigged". Here's Wiki's comments about the term:

"Another source of this term comes from World War Two; in this case, a pun-like play on words. Advancing Allied forces plundering abandoned German bases found a use for emptied metal gasoline cans, nicknamed "Jerry Cans" after the slang term for German. Engineers and mechanics, enduring major supply shortages to the front lines, would jerry-rig the metal from the canisters for use in repairing a damaged hull, fuselage, or any easily fabricated equipment part."

·
Registered
2,319 Posts

Cool! That explains alot about the term! I think I'll try to use that term even more now!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts

Nice I think B is about a 40 /41 or so..

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I think it maybe a little older than that. Has tang hole for tang site and case hardened.
Someone went to more work inside on the hammer spring.

Some of the case hardin is still visable .

Attachments

·
Registered
711 Posts
You got a winner there! If you don't care for the scope, stick a Marble's peep on it-I love mine on the '47...

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cleaned it all up inside n out and oiled it and stuck it in the safe.. Found some Federal Bulk Ammo at a Farm store today for $16.80 for 525 figure I'd try a couple boxes just for the shooting sport of it.
Came home and the Grackles were sitting up in the trees so I loaded up the old girl and even using the old scope popped one outta the tree tops . Guess it'll work for a few tree rats next fall then... ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts