Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm new here so forgive my ignorance about long guns in general - but I'm here to learn! I inherited this 1895 and I know nothing about it...

Here's what I'm most interested in:
- Condition (eye of the beholder, I know!)
- What's original and what's not?
- value - in case I decide to sell it. I'm in the deep south if region makes a difference.
- is that a takedown?

The butt stock has been broken and repaired - you can see the break line right in the middle. And it has a few scratches to the finish - what can I do about that?

Thanks, everybody! Looking forward to hearing from you!

100_0611.JPG 100_0613.JPG 100_0615.JPG 100_0616.JPG GEDC0868.JPG

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
It looks like it has the original parts, but the metal finish looks to be Parkarised. That kills the collectors value! I would say its worth $600-800 at auction, and you may get lucky and 2 guys that want it push it higher. It's a good candidate for restoration

It's not a take-down

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
It's a great old gun and the 1895's are kind of rare as there were not many made. Unfortunately it has lost it's collector value. The original finish looks to have been ? painted over ? I don't think the checkered forearm is factory. The butt stock has been over sanded. The tangs are proud of the wood. The sights look original. I would refinish it myself...and shoot it! What caliber is it? How is the bore? I do love the full length mag tube. It's still worth some $$$, but without a hands on inspection it's hard to tell how the metal was under that finish. Even a professional restoration may not make the gun worth more than what would be put into it.

·
Banned
393 Posts
It has an non original finish.The marlins were case hardened back the. Looks like somebody put some of kind of coating on it & the forearm is checkered(also looks non original) & the buttstock is not. Usually they were both checkered. It is not a takedown. A takedown has a ring around the receiver right in front of the loading gate with a nub sticking out underneath. In my opinion the caliber
plays a big role in deciding the value. Premiums are added for 45-70 & 45-90. As far the scratches go you may try touching them up with some cold blue but do not use too much. As far as the buttstock goes it will hard to hide the break line & it will detract from the value. It is hard to give you an estimate of the value from the pics. I would have to the gun in my hands to give you an accurate estimate. Just looking at the pics I would say in the $500.00 range. This gun has some non original factors which detract from the value. In collecting guns there is an old saying & that is
"condition is everything".

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Welcome to MarlinOwners from New York!!!

From looking very close that's not Parkerized, I'm pretty sure its just good'ol aged patina or ???...

Nice lookin old rifle...

BloodGroove4570

1 - 8 of 8 Posts