Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
It’s your rifle, do whatever you want with it.

BUT!!! Personally I don’t like throwing hundreds of dollars away through a couple of screw holes. And I get squeamish permanently defacing an old classic rifle that will never be made again. YMMV

·
Registered
342 Posts
The same old song and dance. "You'll kill the value" From what I get from looking at a lot of Marlins on auction sites where many current gun values are established, this is not the case. Unless it is in original pristine condition, you are really not hurting the value. I have seen a lot of them that bring more money with scope holes in them. Just my observations. If you need optics because of declining eyesight, do not feel bad about making something more useful. If its a hunting rifle, take it hunting. Your rifle, your choice. It will still be a Marlin. JMO

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
If you do not plan to sell and you need the scope for hunting etc go ahead and D&T it.
I have a 1952 SC that has been D&T. I love it.
Like SD336nut very rarely does it affect value.
If you can find a side mount it can be drilled there where someone does not have to worry about the squiggly lines to replace and can get buy with just welding the holes plugged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As said above, your rifle your choice... BUT since you asked for options... an option would be to sell it and perhaps buy 2 rifles to replace it, one already being tapped for your scope.

That gun sounds like a nice piece of history that will never be made again.

Best of luck either way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don’t know if it has real value all you read about is Winnie or Henry’s Gun Broker hasn’t offered much it’s a nice old gun with wear where you’d expect it but not beat up by any means

·
Registered
661 Posts
You need more postings to sell it here, but someone may help you post pictures and a price.

My well used but sound '48 waffle top was drilled and tapped and I got it for $250 at a pawn shop, but it would have sold for very much more in your condition. Gun Broker might give you an idea what it can go for now.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
If you do decide to have it drilled and tapped check around for a real gunsmith. An AR or Glock assembler/parts switcher does not count.

Ask on here for info on a smith. Ask at your local gun club, friends, fellow shooters.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Like the man said above, IF the gun has NOT survived in MINT CONDITION, have it drilled and tapped for a scope and enjoy shooting the old gal. The only folks who'll pay top dollar for an early 336A waffle top want them in mint condition; and although there are those who claim other wise, these early guns are not rare. The advantages of modifying your gun for scope mounting are that you've increased it's versatility for shooting in the low light conditions of early morning and late evening hunting, you'll be able to shoot more accurately under any conditions; and with your gun having the more desirable Ballard rifling, the odds are you'll be impressed with its accuracy (especially with Leverevolution ammo). As to this alteration hurting value, if that's a concern sell it to a purist nut and buy something else; otherwise mount a scope if that's what you need to shoot well. After all, the gun ain't worth a tinker's toot if you can't be comfortable in your ability to shoot it well. And for what it's worth, the '53 model below was after-market drilled and tapped for a scope; I seriously doubt what I've done has negatively impacted value.
Wood Bicycle handlebar Brick Air gun Brickwork

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Like the man said above, IF the gun has NOT survived in MINT CONDITION, have it drilled and tapped for a scope and enjoy shooting the old gal. The only folks who'll pay top dollar for an early 336A waffle top want them in mint condition; and although there are those who claim other wise, these early guns are not rare. The advantages of modifying your gun for scope mounting are that you've increased it's versatility for shooting in the low light conditions of early morning and late evening hunting, you'll be able to shoot more accurately under any conditions; and with your gun having the more desirable Ballard rifling, the odds are you'll be impressed with its accuracy (especially with Leverevolution ammo). As to this alteration hurting value, if that's a concern sell it to a purist nut and buy something else; otherwise mount a scope if that's what you need to shoot well. After all, the gun ain't worth a tinker's toot if you can't be comfortable in your ability to shoot it well. And for what it's worth, the '53 model below was after-market drilled and tapped for a scope; I seriously doubt what I've done has negatively impacted value.
View attachment 885453
That is a beautiful rifle!

From the deep dark recesses of my tormented mind

1 - 20 of 30 Posts