Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excited to say I just inherited my old man's favorite deer rifle, an old marlin .32 special. ;D The stock was obviously wood laminate, maybe needing a little attention. Octagon 20" barrel, marked 32 HPS figured meaning .32 special(not wanting to say win). Special smokless steel on barrel, with three patented dates and Marlin Safety. He said he thought it was from the 1940's to the 30's? maybe? Any ideas on age?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
#1 Post pics!!!!!

#2 You can age a Marlin by the serial number. A serial number reference is in this website's reference section.

#3 I find it hard to believe that the wood is a laminate and not solid walnut. Again, post pics to try and prove your hypothesis. :)

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
Cant be newer then 1934.Depends on serial #,model stamping etc.Is it stamped 93 or 1893 on the tang?If it has a laminate stock it must have been replaced.Congrats on the new to you rifle.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
It can't have a laminate stock. Post pictures.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Someone having a .32 Special makes my day. Seeing your avatar puts a smile on my face.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will post pics right after work tonight, need to get a new sd card as I have no pics of any of my marlins yet! The stock was definatley replaced and confirmed with my old man. He said he beat it up in the field so much taking atleast 30+ deer in N. Wisconsin. Also the sights were replaced as well, looks like some marbles iron sights. It has 1893 stamped on the barrel right after some patent dates. It apparently was reblued but looks shotty to me. Im really excited to fully restore and take some game with this fine rifle myself. I hopefully should have it dated tonight, cant remember serial number but started with 42 i think?

And swany, hearing my old man say the rifles mine to do whatever with DEFINATLEY made my day! As I told him, I plan on giving it plenty of love!!

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
If you want to replace the wood, here is a place that has it for the 1893 and others.

You have to click on the link, then select Marlin on the left, scroll to the 1893 and pick your parts.

http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/index1.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate it Sir! I would love to put some very nice wood back on it, the laminate makes the rifle very top heavy or barrel heavy.

·
Registered
246 Posts
that would be the route i would go. try to get it back to factory original and show the old man. he would probably love it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I used that term to refer to my father once when I was a kid and didn't know he was within earshot---once. Got my behind booted every second step for more than a quarter mile. I know that the term may not have a derogatory meaning in other areas but I wouldn't dream of using that term in reference to somebody who gave me such a cherished and revered firearm. I'd do everything I could to thank him appropriately. I'm not saying you didn't, but that term really catches my attention when it's used like that, as a result of my childhood experiences. You've definitely got a winner there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
41Retro, no disrespect meant or implied to anyone older than I. Im still a youngster by all means but fairly mature due to 2 kids a wife and running a business or two. Thats kinda how my family is, very fiesty and definatley outspoken. I usually try to remind him how old he is and he definatley reminds me how young and dumb I am. Kind of weird father and son love but thats how our family is...weird. Upmost respect and appropriate thanks were most definatley given, rest assured!!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Got ya. Figured it was something like that. Take good care of that .32. Maybe one day you'll be able to pass it on to one of your youngsters. Folks from non-shooting households just have no comprehension of the meaning or value of such inter-generational bonds.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Yep I can see it all now, many decades pass and you give one kid a restored Mustang.

The other the .32, and the kid with the car is jealous. ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts