Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First gun I ever hunted with was a Marlin 336 in 1956. I grew up in Arizona centeral part of state not far from Queen Creek. Joined Navy in 1958 rode around on one of your submarines (USS Sea Poacher SS 406) home ported in Key West, Florida. Worked my way through school by working summers doing wheat harvest, Jolly Green Giant and the Rock Island Railroad. Worked for U.S. Forest Service walking through the woods for 25 years before retiring. Now I just do what my wife of 54 years tells me too. In my spare time I hunt, fish, shoot, reload and shoot some more.

My reason for joining is i'm always doing something with guns and beinging of the learn as you go club I often need advice and help from someone who has been there and done what i'm trying to do. As is the case right now...i'm the new owner of an old Marlin 1894 made in 1909. The forearm wood seems to have shrunk about 1/16 of an inch...just enough to be agravating...how do I fix it...what forum do I need to go to?

Looking forward to talking to and getting help from more of the neice gentelman and/or ladies in this group!

Thank!
old man old guns

· Registered
455 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot more life wisdom than most of us. Welcome to a grumpy old man's forum (and others!).

What is it that bothers you about the front of the stock being short? Just cosmetic? Did it "shrink" because it is worn away or broken?

Pictures might be nice to of your vintage Marlin. Is it a .30-30 also? Welcome again!

· Registered
2,141 Posts
Welcome from the great state of Tennessee (y)

And +1 on the Marlin pics!!

Reactions: utvolsfan77

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like you have a lot more life wisdom than most of us. Welcome to a grumpy old man's forum (and others!).

What is it that bothers you about the front of the stock being short? Just cosmetic? Did it "shrink" because it is worn away or broken?

Pictures might be nice to of your vintage Marlin. Is it a .30-30 also? Welcome again!
its 25-20 the metal foreend cap is tight but the wood can be moved about 1/16 inch and it rocks slightly when handled it has worn away a little or shrunk anyway there is just a tad of movement...shoot fine just agravating.

· Super Moderator
16,548 Posts
Welcome to marlinowners.com from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - "The Original 444 Marlin®" Country! Hooaaahhhh!!!

Reactions: utvolsfan77

· Registered
476 Posts
oldman,
Try something like this painted on the inside of the forend cap.
Plasti-Dip used to make cans of just the liquid rubber for coating tool handles. Till the kids got
hold of it and started painting cars with the stuff. You probably don't need much.
Cheers!, and welcome to the forums.

· Registered
476 Posts
oldman,
Don't know what kind of climate you're living in now, but hot and dry, wood will shrink.
The "liquid rubber" should provide a bit of flexible/comformable bedding that
will give with the inevitable dimensional cross grain movement.
Incidentally, wood will change LESS than steel longitudinally. And walnut, one of
the universally used stock woods, has less than most hardwoods cross grain movement.
One cabinetmaking rule of thumb is that the harder the wood, the more movement.
Walnut and mahogany, technically "hardwoods", are preferred by furniture makers
because of their dimensional stability.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts