Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here into old military surplus guns? Just yesterday I went shooting my M1917 30-06. The rifle was manufactured in 1918, and still works well, although I did have the ejector spring break on me. It didn't put the rifle out of commission. It still ejected about half the shells, the others I had to pick out with my fingers, but it wasn't hard to do. I already jury rigged a spring from a ball point pen and it cycles and ejects the empty shells quite well now. I'll be ordering a new ejector from Numrich during the week. Amazing parts are still available for our old guns, military or otherwise. Talk about durable goods!

My oldest Marlin is only from 1957, so I think of it as relatively new. LOL!

So, I know it's the Marlin site, but anybody interested in mil-surps also?

Luisyamaha

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Yea, I got a few Milsurps. A few hundred at one point. Sold off all of my Axis collection and most Ally stuff except for a few Enfields and a Swiss 31K. Been weening down the past few years. Just sold the M1 Carbine collection this past summer and kept just one. Down to about 40 Garands, assorted 1917's,1903's, 1903a3's, Krags, Trapdoors, Muskets etc. Even though I've been trying to thin down, I still buy them every now and then. Most recent milsurp score is a M1911a1 Union Switch Signal from a local shop a few months ago.

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Back in the early 90’s when I had my ffl I sold a bunch of P14’s(303) and P17’s. I kick myself for not keeping one when I was buying them for $100-150 . They are built like tanks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The only semi auto I would like to own is an M1 Garand - when I look at the engineering in that compared to the military bolt actions of the day I just wonder what was going through that guys head to come up with such a great design. I like the orig milled trigger guard - not sure what year they moved to the lighter stamped version.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Luis:
There is a kit, Numrich has it listed, that uses a coil spring behind the ejector. It's the same as your temporary fix, but there are two little slots on the back of the ejector to center the spring. It's a better system than the original leaf spring. I always keep one kit on hand for emergencies.

Rob

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Got some Springfields, Enfields, Garands, carbines, 1898 Krag, some Russian Mosin-Nagant's, and a passel of various Mauser bolt actions from different countries (picked those up in the good old days when you get them at Big 5 Sporting goods for $50.), and even a Japanese Arisaka bring back from Saipan. Don't shoot them a lot, but I do enjoy having them.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a Harrington and Richardson (Worcester, MA) Young American Safety Hammer .32 Cal Double Action Octagon Barrel that was manufactured circa 1887 when the patent was first filed. I took it to a gunsmith and he said it was in fair condition but cautioned about firing it. If I did want to fire it he suggested wearing eye protection and a heavy glove. Yeah, um.. I'll pass on that. I keep it in a picture box in my study.

HR 32 Cal.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yea, I got a few Milsurps. A few hundred at one point. Sold off all of my Axis collection and most Ally stuff except for a few Enfields and a Swiss 31K. Been weening down the past few years. Just sold the M1 Carbine collection this past summer and kept just one. Down to about 40 Garands, assorted 1917's,1903's, 1903a3's, Krags, Trapdoors, Muskets etc. Even though I've been trying to thin down, I still buy them every now and then. Most recent milsurp score is a M1911a1 Union Switch Signal from a local shop a few months ago.
Being that I’m also from NH, I need to buy you a beer and make friends! Lol. I have a few mil-surps, an Enfield, a Garand, some even older stuff. The classics are still running strong!

·
Registered
12,958 Posts
I had a bunch of them when I was a kid. I still like a nice sporter made on 03 , 98 or Krag. I still take them on trade but have never been big on issue mil surps. After shooting a game of Army I had less interest in them. Old guns are all I'm interested in. Old enough to be made before the bean counters took over.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Yeah--Old WWII rifles are still very good but I do notice that parts are really drying up for M1 Garands and 1903's. Even Mausers have kind of dried up. I have a few hunting rifles converted from 98 Mausers into 35 Whelen and 30-06 from the original 8mm. Also have an SMLE Mk1 No4 converted to 45-70. My personal favorite is still the M1 Garand.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I used to buy and sell them for colletion purposes but got out of it, never had many at one time but tried the Russian Mosins, the Swiss rifles, Mausers and Enfields. My father bought me a "spoterized" #4 mk1 Lee Enfield for my firts deer rifle and I still have it. Sporterized an old Turk non colletable 8mm. The 8mm has taken deer with close to military level loads but is more rifle than I need for deer. They were fun, and I shot a lot of cast out of them to preserve them. The Swiss was very accurate but ha lousy sights.

DEP

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have an 1884 Springfield (manufactured in 1890) that my grandfather bought surplus sometime in the early 1900's. I had shot it a little with factory loads 45 yrs ago, but it was too expensive for me to shoot and I didn't bother to reload for it. I started to shoot it again a year ago; first thing was to make a taller front sight for 100 yds, since the original was sighted for about 250 yds. Since the bore was over sized .004" (good enough for government work) I had to figure out paper patching. Now that I have a satisfactory load worked up with smokeless powder (don't want to deal with the mess of black powder) I'll have to sight it in - with a file.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts