Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would first like to apologize for being totally and hopelessly inept when it comes to navigating through these websites. I don't spend a lot of time on the web and am clueless when it comes to knowing how to post new threads, pics, setting up friends, groups, likes, and such. Sure, I used computers to teach with when I was working but never spent much time using them to communicate outside of the classroom. (God, I hated teaching! So glad I'm retired).

Anyway, can anyone give me some direction as to how to post a new thread in a particular forum, how to download an image - you know, the basics. One thing I've learned in life is that as, Dirty Harry put it, "a man's got to know his limitations", and I know mine all too well. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can bring my way.

BTW, This is a really cool site and I do like my Marlins.

Gr8rtst

·
Registered
964 Posts
Welcome from PA, computer wise, I'm in the same boat.

Reactions: Gr8rtst

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shot my first buck ever in Clearfield, PA in 1970. We drove all night from Massachusetts to be there on opening day. Used a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 7mm - caught the scope ring right between the eyes! Ouch, but I got that buck! Man, there were a lot of deer back then in your state.

I guess I'm just too old and slow to keep up with all of the techno-wizardry going on. Hell, I don't have a smart phone - I still have a dumb one. I spend most of my time hanging at the range instead of in front of a screen.

I'm certain we will eventually catch on but the older I get, the steeper the learning curve gets.

gr8rtst

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! When you go to the forum you want to post in you'll find a box in the upper left portion of page that says "Post New Thread". Click on that and you're in business. Hope that helps. John

Reactions: farmboy and Gr8rtst

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello and welcome from the high plains of Colorado. Just keep looking around and you will begin to recognize the places you're interested in, then make a few posts and start a thread or two
And there you go.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, brothers. I'm slowly getting my feet wet. I feel like a kid in a candy store - there's so much to choose from! I do post on another site but it's nice that this one is Marlin specific. I have really come to appreciate the solid history and functionality of the Marlin lever gun and plan to add more to the two I have. I'm not a gunsmith but have done some mods to my rifles and feel like a kid . . . again, taking things apart to see how they work. So far, so good.

Now that we can use rifles with straight-walled cartridges in Ohio for deer, the lever gun is going to trump the slug gun in no time. I see a .22LR, .45-70 and maybe even a .444 in the future - and a SS model 1894 in .44 mag. I really like the 1894. They are literally flying off the shelves here and by the end of November, lever guns will be hard to come by.

I feel sorry for the poor whitetail buck that crosses my path on opening day.

Will take some pics at some point to post of my two.

Gr8rtst.

Reactions: farmboy

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Hello and WELCOME from the Allegheny Mountains of Central PA.

Happy to hear you got a nice size buck in Clearfield COUNTY on one of your hunting trips. I live in Centre County and camp in Clearfield County (going next week) and hope to be hunting up there this season.

As far as Posting Topics and adding Pictures, here's a few tips.

If you want to Start a New Thread, from the Home Page there are a set of four Menus: Home Forum Active Topics What's New? Click on FORUM. As you scroll down you will see subject's pertaining to categores of different caliber rifles, and other subjects. So if you want to start a thread under "45-70 Government" category, click the link on the left of your screen and that Heading will come up on your screen. On the left side of your screen it will state "Start New Thread". Click on that and a new screen that provides a Title and a box to Post whatever you have to say. You MUST provide a topic. Once you finish with your Post, keep in mind that if you find typos after you Post the new Thread, when you select Edit Post from the bottom of the screen, you CANNOT alter the Title of your thread. So be sure it is correct before you save your new thread the first time.

If you want to post a photo on a thread (whether its a new thread or an existing thread) there are 3 rows of options you can select on your screen, such as a dialog box for Font Type, etc. The third group has selections such as LINKs (to post a Link to website either in this website or outside this website) The THIRD selection is for Images. The FOURTH selection is for videos.

If you want to Post a photo select the THIRD option for PICS. I find it best to Post all my photos on the PHOTOBUCKET web site for storage of PICS I want to share. With Photobucket, when I want to post a picture I first must select the photo I want to post so it comes up on the Photobucket Screen. Once the Photo is displayed on your screen, you will see a list of selections on the right of our screen. Click on the heading that says DIRECT (for a direct image link) and click on that Direct Link. Photobuck will copy the link after you click on it.

From Photobucket, click on the Marlinowners.com Icon at the bottom of your screen. That will bring up this Website on your screen. I am assuming you already started the Thread, added text and now you want to add a photo to your new Thread. Select the THIRD Icon from the middle group, and a dialog box will come up on your screen with an open area where you can Post the Image Link you copied from Photobucket. PASTE the link into that box and click on OK. I suggest using the Preview Post before Submitting your thread to be sure the photo Posted and your thread is what you want to Post. At that point click on SAVE and you're done.

Your Post will appear at the Top of the ACTIVE TOPICS once you save it. Each time someone VIEWS your thread, it will be counted by this website and displayed on the topics screen. Also, the number of Posts on your thread by other members will be counted too. If members don't read it or post under your thread it will quickly move down the list of Topics under the Active Topics heading. However, your Thread will remain under the Subject Category. I believe the threads are sorted by DATE. But you can always find your thread provided you remember what subject topic you Posted it.

You can find all your Posts under your Profile. Once you select MY PROFILE from the top right of your screen, you will get to another screen that gives you all your options. You can select the most recent posts from the selections on the left side of your screen.

I suggest you run through the paces with the above info. You will find it easier than the way I explaining. Trial and Error are alive and well.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, 156, I'm on it!

GR8RTST.

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do I do a 'like'?

Gr8rtst

Reactions: Steve_In

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Just click on the Thumbs up icon below the text of the post. It is on the right side of the screen. To do a picture click the icon in the post toolbar, on my PC it is the third from the right, follow the directions. I always go to "MY PICTURES" and locate the pic I wish to upload first. Good luck
And Welcome to Marlin Owners from sunny surburan Ari, Indiana :biggrin:

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm gettin' there. Just posted some pics of my bumper sticker collection on a thread titled bumper stickers. Thanks, again, for the assist.

Beautiful LH muzzleloader you have there!

Gr8rtst

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I clicked on the hand and now it shows thumb down 'unlike' on your thread. What's up with that?

Gr8rtst

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Welcome from Long Island farm country, happy shootin'. Cheers:beerglass:

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I clicked on the hand and now it shows thumb down 'unlike' on your thread. What's up with that?

Gr8rtst
You can go back and "unlike" a thread you liked.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Welcome to the MarlinOwners Forum from New York.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
20,502 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Enjoy the forum...............