Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in the 1894 section and it was suggested I try this forum.
Guys, thought I'd tap the knowledge base here. I have an old '94 Marlin 25-20 made in about 1906, not a Rem-lin. I've been working with various bullet molds and some bullets feed better than others. Major hangup seems to be the timing on the lifter, it doesn't come up quick enough. More than likely wear, but I think I read somewhere that there was a fairly short over all length for cartridges in these rifles. Anyone know what that might be?

As an add on, I checked on the feeding a little more in depth and noticed the case rim was jammed against the carrier stop while the bullet nose is still wedged against the next cartridge in the magazine. I don't know if the magazine stop is worn or if I'm just a little too long over all. As a trial I trimmed some cases to 1.30 instead of 1.32 and loaded some with the case mouth jammed against the crimp shoulder instead of just into the crimp groove. Works great, still an occasional hangup of the cartridge being at too great an angle to the bore centerline, but at least it's getting started into the chamber now. If I could get the lifter raising a bit higher I think I'd have it. New overall length is 1.57.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Sounds like wear on the lever or the rocker in the carrier. A new rocker, or a bit of build up on the lever would probably get it lifting higher.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
1.592 is the max OAL on the 25 20. But you may be just right on the edge of correct. Generally, the old bullet molds had the crimp groove in correlation to the factory rounds, but thats probably not across the board.

If you get your OAL exact, that may allow you to flip the lever with a bit more zeal, and cure all the problems. Right now, you may be milking the lever, afraid of a hangup.

I have a 32 20 I tried some modern SWC 32 H R lead bullets in, it gave me all sorts of headaches until I went back to the correct 32 20 rifle mold. It now feeds like a new born baby.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I was at 1.59 OAL before but the round on the carrier was wedged against the next one in the magazine. Maybe the magazine stop is worn, letting them stick back into the action too far.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
So try cheating them longer a few thou, see what happens. It may be a stacking of tolerances issue.

Where you from in S E KA? I have a second cousin there in Baxter Springs I think it is. I grew up over in the S W Corner of MO. That area has changed quite a bit since I left in the late 70s

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm about 70 miles west of the Missouri line and 30 North of Oklahoma.
It's feeding now that I shortened them up, 1.57 seems to be about the maximum overall length.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts