Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy , I recently bought a 1950 39A. Love the rifle and am using it in NRA Cowboy Silhouette. During matches and
only during matches I have been getting light strikes FTF for about 10% of my shots. I ordered a new firing pin and hammer spring from Numrich. Installed the spring and worked a bunch on the new pin this weekend. My old firing pin had been honed and worked but when I honed the pin to give it more protrusion it went beyond flush on the bolt. The new pin appeared to be a blank. Aftermarket pin is .015 thinner the original and rocks and rolls in the bolt when the bolt is removed but when the bolt is installed the pin is "sticky". After making the striking part of the pin stepped and thinned I am getting reliable ignition in my garage range with Aguila Super Colibris(yep, I still have some of those.Precious little left and only used for testing) but hard movement of the pin is bothering me. This hard movement was present with the original pin.Is this normal ?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Put the firing pin on a very flat surface and see if it has a lengthwise curve in it. I found this curve when dismantling my wife's sons 39A. I'm guessing here, but this curve might ensure that the pin doesn't accidentally fall forward after cocking. It creates slight friction retention in the bolt channel. If your firing pin curve (if present) might be too much and cause drag.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My DSL modem quit on me , got a new one now. I found that the old pin and my new one was a bit proud on the top of the bolt. I honed off until flush with the bolt top. Now the pin is truly free floating . This afternoon I shot a bunch of Aguila standards without any failures and I do believe my locktime is significantly decreased.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Over the weekend I installed a Lyman 17A .404 globe front sight.The Lyman bead insert looked great on 1/5 air gun silhouettes at 50' in the back yard. Went to shoot my clubs Summer Smallbore Silhouette league yesterday after work and found out the lee bead insert was way too big on the Smallbore Cowboy Silhouettes Yesterday,need to get a Lee Shaver set. Here are some pictures before installing the Lyman front sight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.