Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be a magnet for weird Marlins, so here goes again.

I just picked up a great old 1894, 44-40 (not 44W) and 24" octagonal barrel with latest patent date of 1893. Serial is 58xx on the trigger plate, also on the left side of upper tang and on the stock. So it's seems to be a valid S/N.

The tang is marked in two lines "Marlin, Model 1894" in different print styles. Receiver has NO "Marlin Safety" since it's tapped for the Hepburn sight (post 1903). It came with an apparently original Marbles tang sight.

According to Brophy (p 212) the serial numbers for the early 1894s is in the 107678 range. Does anyone (Marlinman93 or Parley Baer?) have newer information. I just got my own copy of the the Brophy book; it's a great reference but it's 1989 date does leave out alot of information.

Thanks in advance,

DD

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Are you sure the tang doesn't read,"Model '94" not 1894? The serial number sounds like that of a much later gun. Is the serail number small, about 1/8" high, or larger at about 3/16" high?
Pull that tang sight and double check the tang marking. The Hepburn holes indicate a possibly later gun also.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is Model 94

MM93

Thank for the quick reply. Under the tang sight it DOES read Marlin (in script) and Model 94 (in block). Trigger plate serial number is 1/8" high but on the side of the tang they are 3/16" .

DD

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
If it's not a Marlin Firearms Corporation rollstamped barrel, and no bullseye in the stock, then it's most likely a early 1920's gun. No groove in front of the trigger guard by any chance? Some had a little groove between the trigger and the serail number where the musket lug was taken off.
You're right about Brophy's book. It's the finest thing that was ever written on Marlins, but still there are some errors, and ommissions. Some of this stuff just has to be learned from exposure to lots of Marlins, and other collectors!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I agree with MM93 in that you have a 1920's rifle probably made before 1925. Doc I would be interested in the serial number and the name Marlin used on the barrel for the records. You can email me separately. Thanks, Parley

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sent a PM

PB:

Sent you a PM with more detailed information. Please feel free to pass it on to MM93.

DD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts