Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wants your thoughts on the matter. Do I go with a Winchester Model 94AE, Trails End, .45LC saddle ring rifle w/20" barrel(LNIB) 1992 vintage w/cross bolt safety OR Marlin 1894 Cowboy limited w/ 24" octagonal barrel in 45LC in excellent condition but no box or papers? Neither will be used for hunting, just target. Cannot afford both. I am really "torn" between the two Your thoughts are welcomed. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,333 Posts
I would pick the Winchester in this case

·
Registered
346 Posts
I wants your thoughts on the matter. Do I go with a Winchester Model 94, Trails End, .45LC saddle ring rifle w/20" barrel(LNIB) 1992 vintage OR Marlin 1894 Cowboy limited w/ 24" octagonal barrel in 45LC in excellent condition but no box or papers? Neither will be used for hunting, just target. Cannot afford both. I am really "torn" between the two Your thoughts are welcomed. Thanks.
I don't think either one is a target gun, but if those are the parameters, I'd pick the Marlin. I'd rather own the '92, though.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If the Winchester has the cross bolt safety or tang safety I would go with the Marlin.
I'm a sucker for color cased firearm's! Both nice rifle's!
The dilemma of having to pick between to fine lever action's.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Doesn’t sound like you can go wrong here, but I would also go with the Winchester for the above reasons plus I prefer the 20” barrel.

·
Super Moderator
23,779 Posts
I am not a fan of the post-63 US made Winnies--owned a 1994 Winnie 94 Trapper that should have been made into a boat anchor. Get the Marlin..............

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
If you are planning on shooting Cowboy Silhouette, I would opt for the Marlin. A buddy has one in that caliber & it is deadly accurate! I shoot one in .357 & love it!
A peep sight with the long sight radius & steadier in offhand makes a nice combination. . AND, you got to love the look of an octagon barrel!

·
Premium Member
13,363 Posts
I have given this a lot of thought today, asking myself, which one would I choose if I could only get one of them? I still haven't decided. Dang, that's a tough question! Whichever one you chose, we're waiting for the pics!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I would opt for the Winchester.
Miroku made firearms are top quality, both for fit and finish, as well as mechanically superb.
In 45 LC I would think the 20 inch barrel would be more practical, and accuracy should be quite good also. Lastly it is a much handier rifle to carry.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have given this a lot of thought today, asking myself, which one would I choose if I could only get one of them? I still haven't decided. Dang, that's a tough question! Whichever one you chose, we're waiting for the pics!
Thing is I have been wanting a rifle in 45LC. I have also been wanting a saddle ring rifle. I also admire the the octagon barrel on the Marlin, but I also admire the saddle ring on the Winchester.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I have decided. I used a scientific approach to choosing. I showed my wife a full picture of both. Told her nothing about each except maker(which she knows very little about firearms anyway). She said "get the Marlin...it is prettier and has better lines". So the Marlin it is. Looking so forward to getting it and doing some plinking.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Always wise to consult a higher power !

Well I have decided. I used a scientific approach to choosing. I showed my wife a full picture of both. Told her nothing about each except maker(which she knows very little about firearms anyway). She said "get the Marlin...it is prettier and has better lines". So the Marlin it is. Looking so forward to getting it and doing some plinking.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Winchester. And never look back...

Tim

Reactions: Remy103
1 - 20 of 25 Posts