Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...whats the best "past it up" story you have???

I was raised on a wonderful 235 acre farm, 1/2 fields and 1/2 woods, and the farm was surrounded by a large timber company holdings..so i had approx 5000acres to roam!!
We had a small field planted with corn on the very back of the place, and the "road" going back to it was dirt, very quiet walking! I would often slip upon deer feeding in the corn using this road and watching my wind~
Well the best that ever happened was on late fall day, corn had been picked, the sky was overcast grey, wind was blowing a good 10-15 gusty...you know the type of day...... :p
As i entered the field, I saw at the end of it 2 bucks browsing the knockdown stalks, all I had on me was a 1911 colt, so with my hands in my pockets, i started walking the edge, just to see if i could close the 200yards unseen......everytime the wind was gusting and they both had their heads down i would move, this kept up till i was standing directly behind them!
Now standing there, I had moved to about 15 yards behind 2 bucks, both had 8pts, and they were beautiful, full greying coats, and no blemishes. I pulled out the .45, they raised their heads both at the same time to stare at me.....I aim very carefully, the yelled "BANG" as loud as I could! :shock:
You should of seen the moves they made jumping 6ft and bounding away........all the while I was laughing at them being so sloppy!
I had killed a 6pt in this very field years before, and dragging the deer back to the house had nearly killed me! so i got the best stalk of my life, covered two bucks, they got a lesson this time, and didn't have to do all that work! :p

·
Registered
1,591 Posts

Just last week, I was returning from turkey hunting, and there were several RIGHT beside the road. There was a nice tom in the bunch & I was so close, I could see the individual whiskers of his beard. Easily saw him blink. Had my lucky Rem 1100 right beside me on the seat & a shell in my pocket.

Ah, but that ain't hunting - that's an assassination. So I honked the horn & yelled a few unkind epithets at the lurkeys & drove home happy that I'd had a chance to be out in the fresh air hunting.

Got a small hen a few days later. If I had it to do over again?..... I still wouldn't have shot. I might be a slob, but I ain't a slob hunter. SW

·
Registered
463 Posts

About 5 years ago, I was hunting "GrandDad's" place, a ranch one of my buddies GrandFather had. No one had hunted there for a few years and there were no blinds or feeders there. I skulked around the whole place that day and man were my feet 'done for the day'. About dusk I sat by the door of this"barn", and was smoking a cigar and enjoying the rest. I watched a couple of deer grazing along the fence, and moving towards me. It was a doe and two yearlings, they came within about 60 yards of me and were standing there huddled-up watching thier back trail. The two yearlings were standing so close, they looked like one deer with 2 heads!
I had enough tags to take them both with ONE SHOT, but I was so tired, I didn't want to mess with one , let alone two! So I just waited them out, untill Momma smelled my cigar and started to snort and stamp her foot, and finially got the other two's attention and away they went.
Sometimes it's fun to watch :wink:

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts

Dropped an apple on a 6pt years back, his turbo kicked in like I put a firecracker up his rear. Was hunting does and did not want to take a small buck. I swear you could almost hear tires squealing the way he tore up that sod.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Today is opening day of deer season in Western New York. My son and I have one doe permit between us. He has never gotten a deer. About 8:00 three does come by and stop to browse about 40 yds away. If I take one my son is out of luck if he doesn't see a buck. So I watch them for about 5 minutes then radio him that I see three does. They spot me finally and high tail it out of there. About 2 hours later they come back by him and he gets his first deer. I am so glad I didn't shoot that I could bust a gut.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Well, a recent "pass it up" was more like my worst then best.
Weekend before deer season opens I took the .243 for a walk. First stand I used a squirrel distress and a nice coyote comes in to about 50 yards. Leaves were crunchy, he was snooping around, seemed like the perfect set-up. Yeah, so I go to to get him in the crosshairs and I'll tell ya, it's hard to see through scope covers. I tried to quietly undu that F-up but got busted. Off he goes, not buying the squeek stop calls either. Had an opertunity for a moving shot but there was lots of cover that way and didn't want to risk a deflection.
Still kicking myself over that one - redemption is mandatory.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts

My most gratifying "pass it up shot" occured many years ago..1965 to be exact..
I had come home from Germany (Army) and was hunting local fields of rolling hills for woodchucks (groundhogs).
I had my .22 Hornet sighted in and it was hitting any gnat I wanted to shoot at..
Having my son crouch low with me, I showed him how to do the low crouch walk..freeze and slowly raise your head up..
We covered about half of one hayfield and raising my head slowly, I spied a fat chuck about 100 yds off on the crest of a knoll.
Worked our way about 20 yds closer so my son could see..nice brown, fat chuck !
Young son says "shoot him Dad...shoot him !"..I explain how I don't like "crest of hill shots"..may not be seeing the whole picture..want some green BEHIND the chuck..
Slowly we worked our way closer and closer until we could see that the fat brown chuck was a neighborhood teenager's fat, brown-haired head !!
Walter (his name) was seated on the ground with his rifle in his lap, facing away from us.
Never said a word to Walter..just quietly left.

My son never had to be taught again about "crest of hill" shots.

Sometime later I told Walter about putting some color (preferrably orange) on his head..LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts