Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Anna,

It's happening again.
I took the boys to our camp in NH last weekend for some outdoors recreational activities & while killing empty propane cans & various other dangerous wild inanimate objects I realised that I had 2 kids but only 1 kid gun. :shock:
So, being the dutiful father I took apropriate action & went in search of one for the little guy. :wink:

Well needless to say, I found one. This ones called a Crikket, came with a walnut stock & nicely blued action with a peep sight. :D
My son tried shouldering it & it fit. He's only 5 so I thought it would be too heavy like the Marlin 15YS his 7 year old brother shoots is. Bit its not, it only weighs like 2.5 lbs & its tiny, fits him perfectly.

So far so good right? I mean he needs it cuz he doesnt have one & his brother does & I just got one for his cousin. Nuff said there.

But they also have one with a neat little synthetic stock & you know how kids beat things up right? So okay, maybe he doesnt need 2 & his brother already has his Marlin, but what if its raining? or snowing? Or what if one breaks? I need to be prepared for these things see, cuz I'm the dad. :wink:
So that means that ones ok too right?

See so far I'm covered, but theres this Marlin Spikehorn there too. :?
Now my oldest cant hold it up yet real steady, but he will soon & when he's 12 he'll need a gun for deer hunting, :) so I should get it now right? Its used but in primo shape, Walnut stock nice bluing, got a fixed 3 power Bushnell already on it, swivel studs installed & nicely done.

Now I realize the boy might not want a 30/30 when he grows up & theres the real beauty, I can get a full sized stock for it & then I'll have a great gun for thick cover. So you see I need this one too, for the good of the family you understand. :wink:

I'm going back this weekend to pick them up, it was a bit of a fiasco as I live in CT & the guns are in NH & the Feds held up the transfer 3 days & I couldnt wait. (Gotta work so as I can provide) :cry:

Now my question for you is what to tell the wife if she catches me when I get home? Should I give her one? Or should I look for one specially for her?

Thanks,

·
Registered
670 Posts
I CAN'T WAIT...

Boy Leverdude! You've got it bad...any excuse for a new gun, right??!!
I can't wait to see what ANNABELLE says this time! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BRAVEHEART

·
Registered
670 Posts
YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN!

LEVERDUDE,

I can see that you didn't learn a thing a couple of months ago when you got caught trying to "sneak in" your new gun! :? :roll: You're always going to find what you feel is a good excuse to get a new gun. It's not going to make any difference when I tell you AGAIN to be honest in your relationship and learn to compromise so that you're not spending all this money on your toys and not letting your wife have any. If you keep that up, she may just go out and find herself something to play with! :shock: :wink: I just hope that the dishwasher got fixed... :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!

ANNABELLE

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: I CAN'T WAIT...

BRAVEHEART said:
Boy Leverdude! You've got it bad...any excuse for a new gun, right??!!
I can't wait to see what ANNABELLE says this time! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BRAVEHEART
I guess I get a bit obsessive with firearms. :D

I try & buy most of my ammo & stuff online & mail order to keep me outta gun shops, but I'm only human.

Wonder if Anna does archery counseling. I started bowhunting last year & that gets a bit expensive quick too. Got 2 bows now & thats enuff, I think, :) But wait, :eek: they have one of those new Bow Tech Libertys at the bow shop & when they were tuning mine the owner said I should really try a shorter bow. :shock: Maybe I need one. :D Thing is then I'd need some new arrows. The carbons out now fly alot faster than the aluminum shafts I shoot now & If I'm getting a new bow I really oughta get some. I'd get flatter trajectory which means better shot placement for cleaner kills. So in order to be ethical thats the only way to go. Ethicalness is important for the future of hunting you know.

Thanks BRAVEHEART, I know this is Annas forum & I am certainly looking forward to her opinion & any suggestions she may have to offer, but you have really helped. :D
I already knew I needed the guns as I said earlier, I'm just not sure how to explain it to my wife. But I really didnt know I needed a new bow & carbon arrows in order to be a more ethical hunter & its for this insight that I thank you. :p

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN!

ANNABELLE said:
LEVERDUDE,

I can see that you didn't learn a thing a couple of months ago when you got caught trying to "sneak in" your new gun! :? :roll: You're always going to find what you feel is a good excuse to get a new gun. It's not going to make any difference when I tell you AGAIN to be honest in your relationship and learn to compromise so that you're not spending all this money on your toys and not letting your wife have any. If you keep that up, she may just go out and find herself something to play with! :shock: :wink: I just hope that the dishwasher got fixed... :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!

ANNABELLE
Ummmmmm, Yeah its fixed. :D Actually I got a new one. Its a nice one with a chrome handle & cool green LED controls. It awesome at night!

I dont remember if I said it or not last time but she gets toys too when she wants them,(I'm typing on one now) I guess I'm just more needy. :p She usta be much more enthusiastic bout shooting before the kids started popping out but now being a mom seems to take alot of her time & I think she likes it for me to take them out & give her some peace, hence the need for a gun for Connor. We go fishing alot too but they tire of that much faster than shooting or just wandering the woods.

I'm gonna be honest & just tell her what I told you here & I'm sure she'll understand. After I heal up I'll let you know how I made out. :D

·
Registered
670 Posts
NS

LEVERDUDE,

Please let me know how it turns out because I do care...I'm trying to keep you out of trouble,sweetie!! :?

You might better stock up on replacement strings for your bow 'cause I have a feeling the one on there now may need replacing when your better half wraps it around your neck or tries to use you for the arrow!! :wink: :lol: :shock:

ANNABELLE

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Leverdude,
You're going about this all wrong!
OK, here's how you do it. Send the little lady on a fabulous trip, and while she's out enjoying the scenery, you go buy yourself another gun. If she finds out, she can't hardly be mad, after your generosity to her, and if she doesn't find out, she'll still think you're great for giving her the trip!
My wife, daughter, and grandaughter are all in Disneyland right now! Guess where I'm headed tommorrow!

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not going to get them till next weekend.
I told her why we needed them & she said its ok if you really want them get them cuz thats what your gonna do anyway :D Then I looked at the calender & saw tommorow is Mothers day, figured I might should get her something. Probly she dont want a gun or ammo so I guess I gotta get her something else. Maybe I'll get her some of that spot free stuff (I ferget what its called) for her new dishwasher. :lol:

Thanx for the suggestion MM93, only problem is when she goes away she makes me go with her. Not that I mind of course, I kind of enjoy her company, but somtimes I wonder if she doesnt want me left alone. :wink:. She does go to concerts without me sometimes, but not enuff & the timings never right.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Sure enough, my wife knows I'll get into trouble anyway, so she's given up! Bought three Marlins yesterday, while she is at Disneyland! 1893, '93, and a 20a pump. I gotta go figure out how to cram them into an overfull safe before she gets home Monday night!

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats what has worked well for me in the past, sneaking them in I mean.
Once theyre mixed in with the others she cant tell.

I gave up trying to fit them all in my safe. The ones that dont fit go in the corner of the gun room minus the bolt.

I put a lock on the gun room door, but I'm in the process of building a vault in the basement. The fellow that built my house poured a full foundation under the front & back porches with concrete walls separating them from the rest of the cellar & concrete slabs forming the porch floor & a ceiling for the rooms beneath. All I need is a steel fire door & I think I'll have a child, burglar, fire & most importantly wife proof place to secure my toys.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got them, all but the spikehorn. :( it was gone. They had a new one but wanted $399 for it!

Wife couldnt care less. :D Once she saw the look on the boys face when he could actually hit stuff I was a hero. 8)

Dont know if you guys care or not but these are the kids Im talkin about.

The one on the left is Connor, Norwalks newest gun owner with his brothers 22 :p & thats his brother Brendan with my 30/30 :D

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Those are some happy campers :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts