Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forum. Been collecting Antique Marlin lever rifles for about three years. Recently picked up a 1893 30-30 in really nice shape. Have never shot any of my guns because I thought it was bad for the collectibility?

Am I wrong here?

The seller told me to buy some 30-30 ammo and shoot away, no harm to the gun at all.

What's everyone think?

Thanks.

MarlinRifleMan pix443501796.jpg pix390335979.jpg pix762511882.jpg

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Welcome, thanks for the nice pictures of these historic guns. The shoot don't shoot, is outside what I know about, but have the feeling I'm about to learn.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Get it checked out by a gunsmith if you have any doubts. Loading is the best way to get the most out of your old rifle if you know what you are doing. Bullet sizes do differ from manufactures and years. Get your bore size checked, to be sure. After that shoot away and be safe.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
I've shot unfired hundred year old guns just because that's what they were meant to do - shoot. That said, many decades of age can result in certain metallurgical changes. These are often precipitated by minor, almost imperceptible corrosion which can propagate and cause what is referred to as stress corrosion cracking. Typically it would affect small pins and springs. If you fire the gun, you run the risk of something going wrong. A thorough inspection by a qualified gunsmith may alleviate your concerns. Good luck, and keep us posted. WELCOME! AC

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm hearing a lot of "shoot away" comments. This is the collectors part of the forum, so I'm assuming you guys that are saying shoot away are collectors and feel moving a jacketed 150-170g projectile through these old guns do not harm the bore or the value?

MarlinRifleMan IMAG1275.jpg

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum, This is the place to get your answers so just hang on.
From Louisiana

Team 45-70 #1214 John

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
If the rifle is indeed chambered for the 30-30 caliber, then it is meant to shoot smokeless powder and jacketed slugs. The 30-30 has always been a smokeless powder round.

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
I'm hearing a lot of "shoot away" comments. This is the collectors part of the forum, so I'm assuming you guys that are saying shoot away are collectors and feel moving a jacketed 150-170g projectile through these old guns do not harm the bore or the value?

MarlinRifleMan View attachment 99801
I am a Marlin collector and the oldest one I own is a 1950 and I shoot all of mine. If you have a opinion you need to state it. I take your #2 post as pointed and maybe bated. Hope I am wrong. But if we are going to get tech about where we are posting it says Marlin Collectors not old Marlin gun collectors.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, Golphin, you've got over 1000 posts and I'm up to 3 :), so I will say that I'm not sure if I'm posting my question on the right area, but I'm in no way trying to be leading or bating. I truly don't have an option and don't know the answer to my question. I've collected a lot of things in my life and I am always amazed at what modifications make some that is collectible, uncollectible. I remember during my youth, I collected stamps. The focus became more on the back of the stamp then the front, which made no sense to me. An original gum, never hinged backside of the stamp was more valuable then a perfect front. I quit stamp collecting mainly due to that part.

Nope, no hidden agenda here, just thought this would be a good place to ask Marlin collectors what they thought. If there is a spot on this forum for 1881 through 1902 Marlin lever action rifle collectors, that's really where I need to be I think.

Thank you for your patience as I learn.

MarlinRifleMan

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Clark, any special ammo you use? The jacket is ok? MarlinRifleman

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Clark, are you shooting the lighweight (1881) or the standard/govt. model? Just curious. MarlinRifleman

Reactions: Golphin

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
I've got a few Marlins, four of them (one 1892, two 1893s and an 1894) are more than 100 yrs old. I keep my cast reloads at velocities that were available at the time and actually under the HV rounds available in their day. I would not and do not shoot jacketed bullets through any of those rifles. If I did shoot jacketed bullets they would not be at standard 30-30 velocities available today.

That's a beautiful rifle you got there!!!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Both I have a 45-70, 40-60, 38-55, still need a 32-40. Use cast in the 81s I shoot a few 1893s also, those 30-30s are fine with cast or jackets

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
Well, Golphin, you've got over 1000 posts and I'm up to 3 :), so I will say that I'm not sure if I'm posting my question on the right area, but I'm in no way trying to be leading or bating. I truly don't have an option and don't know the answer to my question. I've collected a lot of things in my life and I am always amazed at what modifications make some that is collectible, uncollectible. I remember during my youth, I collected stamps. The focus became more on the back of the stamp then the front, which made no sense to me. An original gum, never hinged backside of the stamp was more valuable then a perfect front. I quit stamp collecting mainly due to that part.

Nope, no hidden agenda here, just thought this would be a good place to ask Marlin collectors what they thought. If there is a spot on this forum for 1881 through 1902 Marlin lever action rifle collectors, that's really where I need to be I think.

Thank you for your patience as I learn.

MarlinRifleMan
MarlinRifleMan that is my bad. I was on another planet and thinking you were not the poster of the original question. I was way off in the way I read it. My bad and I apologize with red face and all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi John, ah, so just lead, no jackets, that makes sense. Is there someone out there that sells lighter loads and lead only for shooting older guns? I figure there would be, maybe not.

I see you are sometimes in Idaho. Me too. Love it there, and Montana. I'm a big fly-fisherman and I love being on the river in that part of the country. So great! 100MEDIA_IMAG1091.jpg Trout Haven (5-2013) 2.jpg

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
Marlin Rifle Man, Do you reload? I am not a Collector, but I own and shoot several Vintage Marlins. DOM 1895 and 1911 Models 44-40. On the pre 1900 I use only cast lead bullets. On a 1886 winchester from 1897 I use cast lead bullets. And If I owned the rifle in you first post on this thread I would use cast. I would try 30gr of IMR3031 with a cast 170 - 185gr FPRN bullet. Safe and fun. Check your bore and groove first. Inspect the rifle or have it checked. I see no reason not to shoot the rifle. Taking proper care of it is more important to its value. If you worry about decreasing it's value, then store it properly and don't touch it. Playing with them is how they end up with character marks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
David/D-hansen,

I don't reload. That's something I do want to do someday, just business, wife, kids, etc, etc jumps in the way most times :)

What would those super X Win. 30-30 ammo I showed in the picture be (vs. your 30gr of IMR3031)?

Mark/MarlinRifleMan

1 - 20 of 51 Posts