Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chance to do some test firing with my 44WCF blackpowder loads that I use at CAS matches. Everything cycles good, fires good, ejects good, but the extractor/spring seems weak and does not grab the spent rounds reliable. After removing the extractor from the bolt and did a real good cleaning job in the channel of the bolt that the extractor rides in and lightly adjusted the tiny spring with finger pressure and reassembled the rifle. The rifle did extract dummy rounds as normal until I went to the range to fire it, then no extraction action. I have ordered a new/old extractor from Numrich and should have it in a week. I have a new model 1894 in 45 Colt and thinking about comparing the two extractors. The 1889 extractor spring is flat. Any more suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
My smith fixed my old '94 last month with the same problem and he used a modern 336 rear firing pin spring to fix mine. Works like a charm. moodyholler
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,244 Posts
Often when the fired cases don't extract, it's either a weak extractor spring, or a rough chamber. Take a close look at the chamber, and if all is well, just put a new spring in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Received the ordered extractor from "Numrich Gun Parts" a few days ago and today I got around to fitting the new extractor to the bolt. The Numrich Invoice is marked as for a 1889 extractor and appearance looked to be a lot more substantial than the extractor that was in the the Marlin as I had received in a trade recently. First problem I had was the hole in the new extractor was egg shaped and would not accept the pin, so I thought thats easy to fix and grab my handy battery drill motor and small precision drill bits only to find none of my american size bits from 1/16" to 1/4" did not fit the existing hole in the bolt & and original extractor hole. Used a 5/64" bit and it was still too small and a 3/32" was too big and did not want to lose that much metal around the extractor. Finally after polishing the pin and filing out the extractor hole, I had the thing back together. When I first chambered a dummy round, the finger lever was real stiff before the new extactor would snap over the dummy round, but after carefully levering dummy rounds a few times, the rifle seems to be working properly. Tomorrow I'll have a chance to try out the Rifle at a Gun range and see how it does,...crossing my fingers.

here's a pic. of the original(left) & new extractor(right)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/stepnmud/extractorforMarlin1889004.jpg
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top