Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK looking for some feedback on what you all think is a fair price for a 1948 336, in 30/30
here are some pic's if that helps?
Bore is in very good condition, stock has some minor dings and scratches, , there is a very small crack on the left side near the reciever, very small, and not likely to be an issue! IMO on normal use, as to getting bigger! but it is there for sure!
and there are a few small scratches on the barrel
overall, its a fairly decent condition gun for its age, considering it was a gun that was used as a hunting rifle for most of its life
has NOT been altered at all, and all screws have little if any signs of being removed much, if at all!
I can get better pic's if needed of any part
stock also was never drilled and tapped for swivels too, so original as can be!

serial number is F 202 X

marlin 1949 001.JPG marlin 1949 004.JPG marlin 1949 005.JPG marlin 1949 018.JPG marlin 1949 020.JPG

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I saw several cracks that photo. For my money I would give $200 for the rifle and buy a new stock. But if you want a hunting 30/30, those are plentiful for around $250 - $350.

Of course that's what I would do, it's not a recommendation. Have fun figurin it out. It's all a a journey. Llc

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw several cracks that photo. For my money I would give $200 for the rifle and buy a new stock. But if you want a hunting 30/30, those are plentiful for around $250 - $350.

Of course that's what I would do, it's not a recommendation. Have fun figurin it out. It's all a a journey. Llc
well there is a small chip or two, but there are no more cracks in the stock, in my pic's some of the scratches maybe look like cracks but there not
bad lighting and my photo taking skills at play LOL

the gun will just be another one to add to the rest, not making plans to make it a shooter or a safe queen
just was wondering what its value would be
being a first yr made 336 and a low 4 digit serial number, if that mattered at all?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Have to agree with T Roy. Tang cracks are not a minor issue and unless you're ready to do some repair work, they'll only get worse. It's a notorious weak spot on a lever gun. Be a big price reduction in my book.

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
I agree with the others. $200.00 would be about right. I would not go more than $250.00 for any reason, but then again you may have more money to spend then I do. You may be able to repair the crack or you can just replace the stock. The metal looks good from the pictures for the age.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The stock is repairable, but not by me. It'll cost to get if repaired, unless you're really good with wood. I have no idea of the value, though. The crack is a good bargaining point.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK< well I got the gun
and all I can say is I got it for a price, I couldn't go wrong on
I sadly don't really have any plans to shoot it, or fix it
it will just be added to the collection
but price was right
so I'm happy

NOW , I would still be interested in if the first yr production and low serial number has any value or not
NOT that is matters now, but just for food for thought
I would think wit a , E 202"X" number, it had to be one of the very first out the door in 1948

so does anyone think that adds anything to it??

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
NOW , I would still be interested in if the first yr production and low serial number has any value or not
Collector value is relative to condition, serial numbers has little to do with any increase in value if the condition is bad............collectors look for pristine condition & if not pristine they walk away.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
NOT that is matters now, but just for food for thought
I would think wit a , E 202"X" number, it had to be one of the very first out the door in 1948

so does anyone think that adds anything to it??
Don't really think so. 336's are pretty much a dime a dozen and it's goimg to take some time for people to start paying premium prices for the early guns. I myself am only interested in E and F prefix A's and ADL's. I actually don't mind if they've been drilled and tapped...

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Take a small diameter drill and drill a hole at the end of the crack(after you take the stock off the receiver)Use some Locktite super glue dripped in the crack to stabilize it.The crack will not get any bigger .Actually the rest of the rifle looks pretty decent.I like those older Waffletops with the one piece trigger.That feature alone makes it worth a extra hundred in my books!!!!Give us a range report!!!!:biggrin:

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
If that serial number starts with an F it is a 1949

If you are offering money on it, start with $250 and let them counter offer.

·
Super Moderator
25,163 Posts
An F serial number makes that a 1949 Marlin. That's the letter my 1949 336A 32 WSP begins with.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys
as for yr? When I looked it up on the marlin serial number look up, it stated it as a 1948, so?? Not sure now
doesn't really matter, its mine and I am happy

as for the stock, even that doesn't bother me, as It very low odds I will ever get ut to a range
just have way too many other guns, waiting in that line
I have a habit, not really sure if its a good or bad one LOL
but I get a lot of offers to buy gun collections , and tend to come into a bunch of guns at a time
making just doing a fast cleaning time consuming, never enough time to get to a range with most these days
so as for a range report, its going to be a long time I think
I have custom built guns I haven't shot yet, and there up way higher on the list before this gun
sadly not enough hrs in a day, or funds to maybe make better use of my time
thanks all for the info and suggestions and info
will maybe look a little deeper into exact yr, but 1948 or 1949
all the same more or less I gather Lol

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I bought a 336 RC a couple of years ago in about that condition, but without a tang crack, for $230.

This one is worth no more than $200-225 in my current market area. I mean no disrespect when I say the condition of both makes them truck guns.

I second the notion of fixing the crack with glue. Gorilla glue, worked into the crack with gravity, a toothpick and blown air, then clamped tight, is another way to fix it.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
A cracked stock is a major issue.If it were me I would look for a rifle without a cracked stock.They are in abundance of used 336's in 30 30s in the $350-$450 range in great condition.If you have a love for that particular gun and just have to get it,I would locate a stock for it and offer a price according to what the stock would cost me.But,I would probably leave it alone and look elsewhere.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I bought a 336 RC a couple of years ago in about that condition, but without a tang crack, for $230.

This one is worth no more than $200-225 in my current market area. I mean no disrespect when I say the condition of both makes them truck guns.

I second the notion of fixing the crack with glue. Gorilla glue, worked into the crack with gravity, a toothpick and blown air, then clamped tight, is another way to fix it.
And then the stock is carefully refitted to the receiver such that no stress is constantly applied to the fore end of the stock. It cracked there for a reason so the fit probably was not ideal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts