Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to take up so much of the forum, but I think I got the hang of crimping. still ordered a set of Lee Crimping dies in case that will help better.

Now here is my new dilimma.... was reloading some 45/70, 350 grn.
Please remember I am a NEWBIE.... well when I put the cartridge in the
expander die I guess I went a bit much... they seated about 1/16 inch
above the crimp grove. I crimped them a bit. I don't dare load up these
5 shells into the tube magazine, but can I shoot them singelly? load from
the breech. I'm using IMR 3031 45.5 grns. according to Sierra

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Get a bullet puller. They are cheap and this isn't the last time you are ever going to need one. Pull the bullets and reassemble the cartridges correctly. Your 45.5 grain charge is a reasonably mild starting load and you may well be safe shooting them, but I say you shouldn't develop bad habits this early in your reloading career.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Thats right......... You Will Need A BULLET PULLER........... Its part of the needed reloading equipment . The plastic hammer type our cheap and work great.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He HE, when I bought the rockchucker kit, the guy who seems to be
a pretty good guy, had me get a "hammer" . Yea I guess your
right, This is a hobby that needs to be done correctly every time.

thanks for setting me on tract!!!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Reloading is not an intrinsically dangerous hobby, but it is intolerant of error. Never forget you are making small bombs that you intend to detonate inches from your only pair of eyes.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Shoot them.

They ain't dangerous and COL ain't an iron law. We vary seating depths all the time, for a variety of reasons. If your loads were near max, deeper seating might raise pressure pressures dangerously, but you ain't nowhere close to that.

·
Registered
275 Posts
bytor:

An easy way to determine the right amount of expansion, is to take the sized and expanded case and set a bullet on it, and it should balance easily. You should be barely able to see the expansion of the case.

Start with no crimp and try the balance test. If it doesn't balance give it a LITTLE more expansion. When it first balances stop there. Remember less is more.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bytor -

Have to agree with DodgeStdShift - less is more (read:better). When we bell our 4570 cases, the number we aim for is btwn .010 and .012" expansion in mouth diameter (measure the mouth before, add .010-.012" to that, and aim for that number).

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts