Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got the great news:

The Ohio Wildlife Council voted and approved last night the wildlife proposal for PCR Rifles in the calibers as originally proposed:

Legal deer hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.

Guns may only be loaded with 3 shells but need not be plugged

Here is the link:

http://www2.ohiodnr.gov/news/post/ohio-wildlife-council-approves-2014-2015-hunting-regulations

whooohooo!

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Congrats to all you in the state. Maybe after some time and they see how this goes, they'll get real and open it up to other calibers. The logic in deciding the calibers allowed still escapes me from "a practical" and/or scientific type standpoint, but a start I guess...
Good hunting to you!

Reactions: cds4570 and mrguvna

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats to all you in the state. Maybe after some time and they see how this goes, they'll get real and open it up to other calibers. The logic in deciding the calibers allowed still escapes me from "a practical" and/or scientific type standpoint, but a start I guess...
Good hunting to you!
The "logic" I think was simply to avoid opposition. These calibers were played off as basically being pistol cartridges or old black powder cartridges) implying 'slow, low velocity'. (A few others like 375 win. got sneaked in by being similar but not really BP nor Handgun cartridges)

I have been amazed by how many other hunters' first reaction was to oppose the proposal, as for some reason the word rifle seemed dangerous. At the open houses for public comment there were about 1/3 as many hunters opposed as supportive. If you get that much opposition even among hunters who should know better, what does that say about opposition from the general public and some farmers/landowners that allow others to hunt on their property. it was also very important to get the Ohio Farm bureau to support the proposal as the Ohio Wildlife Department was not willing to go forward without their support because the (erroneously) theorized that many landowners and farmers would not allow hunting for deer on their property if they feared hunters using rifles of any kind.

All in all it gives us some very good choices for finally being able to use some rifles in fairly populated areas where shotguns and muzzleloaders had been our only choices previously. I am confident other cartridges will be added later. When we first got handgun hunting for deer allowed it was the same way. There was a very short list of approved calibers and cartridge lengths etc. that has morphed into a general straight walled cartridges 357 caliber and above.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am jealous. Here in the shotgun zone they have had a proposed bill for pistol calibered rifles on the table forever. They just let it die.

No .450 Marlin on the list?

Interesting.

·
Registered
239 Posts
From what I heard , the list of proposed calibers were roughly the same or weaker as current hi performance shotgun slugs at least in ballistic charts. A 325 grain Hornady Leverevolution 45-70 is real close to a 12ga. 2 3/4 Hornady SST slug. Already bought my 45-70 1895G Remlin and it's already on it way back to Marlin for a new barrel.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Congrats to those who hunt in Ohio. Good luck, of course pictures and success stories come deer season, John.

Reactions: cds4570

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
From what I heard , the list of proposed calibers were roughly the same or weaker as current hi performance shotgun slugs at least in ballistic charts. A 325 grain Hornady Leverevolution 45-70 is real close to a 12ga. 2 3/4 Hornady SST slug. Already bought my 45-70 1895G Remlin and it's already on it way back to Marlin for a new barrel.
That stinks!

If I had this law in lower Michigan, I would be scouting for a .444 or .45-70 real quick!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that too.

Sorry to hear about your barrel. i bought a new GS and brought it up to par mechanically but the wood is still quite rough. not sure if i will refinish or see if Remington will send me a new forearm and I can live with the butt. I really don't want to send the whole rifle back to them and wait on it.

On a happier note, I scoped my stainless JM 44 mag that I have had for awhile and always have that as an alternate.

Good luck with your gun and your hunting!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I never could understand the shotgun restrictions given the guys shooting rifled barrels and sabot shells with their high velocity. Same for the in-line muzzleloaders.

Reactions: cds4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I'd like to see NY do that in the shotgun only areas here, BUT, WE KNOW THAT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!!!#####

Congrats to Ohio Hunters!

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Well, the price of Marlins are escalating in Ohio as we speak if they haven't already. I wish Indiana would pass the same calibers instead of putting an OAL limit on their allowable calibers. If they did, I'd be sending my son one of my big bores. He hunts with a .45 colt CBC Marlin now.

Way to go Ohio ... :congrats:

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am jealous. Here in the shotgun zone they have had a proposed bill for pistol calibered rifles on the table forever. They just let it die.

No .450 Marlin on the list?

Interesting.
I heard the MI DNR asked the bill not be voted on and they would do a three year trial rather than have the law passed. That way the DNR could delete the rule change if they wanted to, vs trying to repeal a law. I wish MI would just eliminate the shotgun zone.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just got the great news:

The Ohio Wildlife Council voted and approved last night the wildlife proposal for PCR Rifles in the calibers as originally proposed:

Legal deer hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.

Guns may only be loaded with 3 shells but need not be plugged

Here is the link:

http://www2.ohiodnr.gov/news/post/ohio-wildlife-council-approves-2014-2015-hunting-regulations

whooohooo!
THAT IS THE ABSOLUTE BESSSSSSSTTT NEWS I,V HEARD IN A LOOOOOOONG TIME Yes being a Buckeye I Am a Happy Camper I wasnt shouting I WAS SCREAMING
Thank You for the GREAT News
THE DOGG!!!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
It's a step in the right direction. Weird to think of not being able to hunt with the gun of your choice. But I am glad our Ohio friends now have lots of Marlins to choose from.

Reactions: baldoledog

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
congrats

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.