Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

sorry fellows a "slight" deveation! 6.5 jap comming home soon.....just recieved the 7.7 in military dress.
maybe SOMEONE :roll: will find me a roller, and i can show my face around here again....... :D [/img]

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Honorable Kaintuck San not lose face, but rather perhaps gain new friends? Maybe Dali become better friend to Kaintuck now that they have something in common!
But urge to purchase more Oriental weapons might lead to Hari Kari if honorable Kaiintuck buy one too many edged weapons! Honorable Kaintuck must use discretion in purchase of Samurai swords or knives!
Sayonara Kaintuck San!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Kaintuck,

You should have had leftover spagetti for breakfast instead of those rice krispies! :wink: I don't think young ladies are allowed to hunt doves in japan!! :D SW

·
Banned
150 Posts
Kaintuck,

Which version is it? It looks to be in really great shape. Spaghetti, pizza or rice krispies, they are very interesting and worthy rifles and in the early going, I understand, were evern a bit popular in Europe prior to the out break of hostilities.

Is the MUM intact on the front of your receiver or has it been defaced (done, in case you may not be aware, at the war's end to most of these rifles so as not to disgrace the emperor whose symbol was the mum).

I recently acquired a sportorized model of which only the receiver survived. The MUM is perfect, suggesting it was among those squirelled back to the states by GIs who escaped the defacers. Mine was rebarrelled for 250-3000 probably for field use and is good shooter. Doesn't look bad either, having a attractive and unusual light wood stock.

How'd you come by yours and is it for the collection, the field or both? Let us know how it shoots.

lazer

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6.5 jap

lazer, she was a gunbroker buy. i haven't got it yet, but i will shoot her!
i have heard that these were good accurate rifles........well see where thay stand in the light of a swed m/96!!!!!!!!!
i will post!

·
Banned
150 Posts
Kaintuck,

Wouldn't expect it to stand up to the Swede, but they are historically very interesting and fun to shoot, especially when you can compare them to other military rifles of the era, like Mosins, Mausers, Krags, etc.

Because of the many variations and longevity, I really have enjoyed the Mosins, including the Fin versions which are said to be exceptionally accurate have been made or converted by Sako. Most aren't pretty, but the Czar and the Soviets made them to survive and function.

Let us know when you get and shoot yours.

lazer

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright! yes!

lazer....she finally got her, and that is a looong barrel! i found that the rifling is great, crown etc....should be accurate enough. nebhogger felt pity on me and sent me some brass, bob has both the 7.7 and 6.5 tonight loading and case forming etc!
we want to start with safe loads, and maybe sunday afternoon i will get to try them both out.
as for the sweds.....i'll always say they will stand alone in the accuracy dept!...i know there are just as accurate ones out there, but ANY of my sweds are better than i can hold them.....then the swiss, the the mosins, turk's etc.......but i love anything that goes "BANG"! :p

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
kaintuck,

As for safe loads, the type 38 action is one of the strongest. In Hatcher's Notebook, he describes several blow-up tests that never did blow up the gun. The NRA also tested one some bubba reamed to 30-06 - with out adding a 30 cal barrel. :shock: The guy shot at least one deer and thought it 'kicked a little too hard' & sent it in. :shock: You'd think the case would have been welded to the bolt! :shock: Man! Talk about standing in the shallow end of the gene pool!

I think a 129 gr bullet at about 2450 is close to the military load. Check them manuals carefully, though! :D SW

1 - 10 of 10 Posts