Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on vacation on the Pacific Northwest coast to avoid the Texas heat. I was on my way to the beach on Saturday to see if I could find something interesting to shoot, I mean photograph, when I had a serendipitous encounter with two black tail mule deer. They were grazing on the median strip so I pulled over, lowered the window on the driver's side of my truck and started to take pictures from about 20 feet with my Nikon B700. This guy must have realized how much this amateur photog wanted a money shot because he stopped eating, looked straight into the lens, and stood stock still for about 15 seconds. When I got to the beach, it was overcast with nothing to pique my photographic interest but I definitely went home happy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Four days later, this one showed up in the yard to eat apples that had fallen from a tree. I'm guessing that its injured left back leg is the result of being hit by a vehicle. Nevertheless, it was getting around ok even on three legs.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Did you notice that the injured buck's antler opposite the injured leg is stunted? I have seen this several times on whitetail deer. They will have an injured leg from an auto accident, hay mowing equipment, or getting it caught in a barbed wire fence. For some reason they grow antlers that are deformed on the opposite side of the injured leg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.