Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found my load for my Marlin 375. 39.5 grains of AA1680 200gr Sierra firm crimp. Average velocity 2330 & stacking bullets at 100yds. I mean STACKING bullets literally. Williams peep sight, sand bag rests.
I played around with AA1680 over the summer and was good speed but not so good accuracy. 7-30 Waters suggested more crimp. I never did until now. I bought a Lee factory crimp die. All I can say is "AWESOME".

·
Registered
555 Posts
6pt
Are you saying you are having accuracy problems with your 375? We have 2 of them and they are both very accurate with this load.

H 322 = 38.0 gr.
200 gr. sierra fp.
cci-200
COL.2.530
W-W case

I also use the Lee factory crimp die,with a firm crimp.If you like the 220 gr. hornady here it is.

IMR 3031 = 34.0 gr.
220 gr. hornady fp.
cci-200
COL.2.525
W-W case

Both of these loads are accurate out of both of our marlin 375's.

G

·
I've not had the best luck with this gun. It's good enough for deer, but on paper I am NOT impressed :? Out of all the Marlin's I own ,only two have given me problems . My 1894FG and this 375 :(

G

·
444, I have tried the 220 Hornady with IMR4198 (30.5,31.5,32.5) ,IMR3031 (36 ,37 ) ,H335 (39, 40 , 41). Maybe I'm loading to hot :?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6PT, Before I learned to crimp this cartridge a little firmer, I got great accuracy as long as I kept it under the 2200fps mark. This gun has been remarkably accurate with factory and modest loads. Now that I've learned what crimp it likes, my higher velocity load is accurate. I plan on taking it on up to around 2400fps with 200gr and 2300fps with 220gr.
I hate it that yours isn't as cooperative, because it really is a great round. It's going with me to Georgia this weekend. I'm hoping to drop the hammer on one with it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I broke out of my shell. I thought I would never put a scope on a lever gun. A couple of weeks ago, while hunting up in Georgia, two bucks crossed in front of me at about 50 yds. It was too dark to make an ethical shot with my iron sights. If I'd a had a scope, it would have been a different story. It was still legal shooting light, but my eyeballs just don't work when it gets late.
My 375 shoots so good with irons that I hated to do it, but the rut is picking up. Anyhow...I stuck a cheap Simmons 3 x 9 on the old girl last night and loaded up some bullets. This morning I took her out and after taking a few shots to "walk" it in, she began showing off. I honestly cannot get over the accuracy of this gun. I would put this joker up against any bolt gun at the range. It litterally stacks them up at 100yds. I may have to break down and put a nice Leupold compact on it next year.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Duckbill,

where's clermont FLa.? I am in St. Pete (Tampa area). 8) Love my Marlin .375 also. I too have a simmons 3x9 and it does fine, but the scope honestly does not spend much time on the gun.

-Stone

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Stone,
Clermont is about 20 miles west of Orlando. If you took I-4 East towards O-town, got off on Hwy 33 at Polk City and headed North about 25 miles you'd find Clermont. When I feel like risking my life and using a public range, I visit TENOROC in Lakeland which is about a 1/2 hour from the house.
Bill

·
Registered
105 Posts
Duckbill

I have heard of TENOROC but never shot there. Sometime when you're thinking of going, let me know and I will meet you there. We can amaze the bolt action boys with our .375's! :D

-Stone

G

·
I bought a 375 about a year ago. Recently put mounts and scope on it. On Friday, I loaded some 200grain Sierras over 38 grains of AA1680. On Saturday I went to the range to sight in and see how the loads worked. Not bad at all. Seemed like very mild load, and pretty good group. About four that evening, I decided a little tree therapy would be good for my attitude. Grabbed the 375 and went to the woods. About an hour later an eight point buck came cruising by. One shot through the neck at 23 yards. deer down on the spot. Not a long shot, or one to boast of, just close and final.
I plan on increasing the load, and getting a Lee Factory crimp die. Thanks for the posts.

Blessed

·
Registered
59 Posts
hey Duck bill and Stone Fence,
I am down here in Ft Lauderdale area and would love to find some decent deer hunting closer than my property in Georgia.....only seem to get there before deer season....anyway, where would you guys suggest up there?
Also looking to buy some acreage up that way to put a house on and live...any ideas on best area?
Thanks,
Frank
p.s. love my Marlins, but stupidly passed on a 375 last year for $200....hope to find the guy again this year....he usually books me for fishing trip around this time of year

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey blessed,
Congratulations on that buck. I haven't had a chance to get blood on mine.

Frank, unfortunately there's not a lot of good hunting in central Florida. The leases are expensive and the WMA's are dangerous. That's why I hunt in Georgia. If you're looking to buy property up here, you'd better hurry. It's dissapearing fast. Good luck finding that 375. $200... man what a deal!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Headshot,

what the others said. If you read the hunting mags, the deer success rate is pitiful in Florida. The bucks are small and scrawny too. And the WMA's are plenty dangerous.

My great uncle has a place up near Ocala, and there are deer there. Problem is they come to his feeder at 3 in the morning, and how you gonna shoot them then? I was up there with him last season we'd rub out the tracks every evening, and sure enough the next morning the area would be covered in deer tracks and all the corn and oat grass would be gone! But I never saw a deer in daylight.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was able to get one down with my M375 this year. Last year was the first year I hunted with it and missed a so.Cal muley by shooting in front of it while it was trying to boogie out of the area. This year here in Connecticut I got an 8 point from my treestand at about 80 yards.
The buck was with a hot doe that had him doing scrapes and thrashing the brush up behind her. I was doing some cold calling with a doe bleat when I turned to find him behind me looking for some action. He turned and went back in for his sure thing behind him. I thouht he was gone for good but the doe walked about 10 yards out in a little clearing and he was right behind her broadside. I hit him right behind the shoulder and the 220 grain WCC factory round center punched the heart with a 1" hole and wrecked a lung as it passed through right out of the opposite armpit. He wheeled in a 10 yard circle and stopped almost right where I hit him the first time. He was still broadside but facing 180 degrees from when I took the first shot. I fired again and this one dumped him on his side. The slug broke the near shoulder and didn't exit.
I'm used to allot more trauma having shot deer with a .260 and .270 where the slugs have split and made some serious blood shot. The first shot must have not hit any bone because it had a 3/8 hole in and a slightly larger exit. I didn't recover the slug on the shoulder shot I forgot to ask the butcher to hang on to it. I really like that 375 especially in the climbing tree stand I hunt from. I have one more doe tag left to use by saturday hopefully I can get some slug pics.
Brian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts