Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to visit a friend who runs a small gun shop, found a Weatherby in 270 Weatherby Mag, made in the USA. Just got verification that it is a first year Mark V made, receiver and all, right here in the USA. It is brand new, the guy who put it on consignment had worked in the factory when it was made. He fired a total of five rounds through it and the rifle looks it. Anyhow I am excited about this find and wanted to share. Here is what I received from the Weatherby site:
The rifle description makes it a Weatherby Mark V deluxe, manufactured in 1958 (first year of production for the Mark V). The first Mark V's were made in California, and had an "investment casting" receiver, supplied by Pacific Foundries, Inc. They are known as PFI Weatherby's, or Southgate Mark V's. The barrel is a Timken barrel, which was one of the most common barrel suppliers for Weatherby in the 1950's and into the early 60's. (The stamp is a circle with the letter "T" inside). There were about 1700 of the "Southgate Mark V's" made in California prior to manufacturing being moved to West Germany (J.P. Sauer). Tips on your stock are rosewood. The stock is walnut. :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sounds like you got quite a rifle there. I'm not particularly fond of Weatherby's but that certainly has a lot of collector appeal. The .270WM is an awfully high intensity round (read - overbore) and will not last for a lot of shooting before losing accuracy (about 1000-1500 rounds). Most people would not shoot one that much in a lifetime. It sure is flat and a great antelope/sheep rifle. Congradulations!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts