Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have inherited my fathers old service revolver and was hoping what you all could tell me about this particular gun. It has a little holster wear towards the muzzle but not a whole lot, mechanically this gun is in great shape as well. I was wondering if it is ok if I shoot this gun or is it a collectable and should I just keep it in the gun safe? All opinions are welcome. Oh before I forget this is the model that looks like the S&W model 10 on steroids and is chambered in 41 mag.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Agree with Tubby on shooting it. Great round. If you have any concerns at all take it to a gunsmith and ask them to inspect it first.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm pretty sure but I believe the M-58 was the no-frills service revolver in 41 mag. The M-57 was fancier, shiny blue, target trigger, hammer, etc. I have a 4" M-57 and absolutely love it.

Shoot that 58! It should be a lot of fun to shoot. I shoot mostly cast bullets over Unique or Titegroup for a lot of big bore shooting that doesn't beat you up.

This will start an argument, but that 41 won't give up much to a 44 mag with similar bullet weights in the full power loadings. 41's are a hoot to shoot!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
AS mentioned, having it examined by a competent gunsmith is a good idea. If it checks out shoot and have fun with it, and never sell it.

SS

·
Registered
309 Posts
There is some demand for those on the market as they have become difficult to find as they are a nice gun. But since it's a family gun I wouldn't sell it. If your not going to sell it you might as well use it and enjoy it. They are nice guns. Nice for packin'
Regards

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bear Paw,
As you and others have advised me I will not be selling this gun. I never was I was just wondering what the value was is all, as I did not want to harm it if it had a great deal of value. However as you have already stated it would make a great packing gun and that is what I am planning on doing with it. I just need a good load to go with it. I am not going to be looking for a full power load, I am thinking of a moderately heavy cast bullet at about 1,000FPS. Anyone know where I might be able to find such an animal for this caliber?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I have a 41 rifle and don't have any good handloads for use in a pistol, would suggest you check out your local sporting goods for the one caliber books, around $7.00, with a variety of powders and loads just for your caliber. Personally I like using unique for the plinking loads as it is not position sensitive and seems to do well in any weather. Suspect 6-7 grns would be about right, 200 grn 10.0 unique 1280, 210grn 10.1 1265, and 220grn 9.3 is 1215.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Sure Shot . . .

Those one-caliber books are great! They take all the published loads from all the other manuals (both powder & bullet makers) and combine them into one book with lots-a-loads for that one caliber!

www.MidwayUSA.com has them all I think! Cheap, too!

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** The Genius of the .41 ***

--- The M 58 is good as gold .

--- Any S&W that comes from the factory chambered for .41 Mag . , is plentifully strong for any factory , full- Magnum pressures , and any major Reloading Manual's maximum loads .

Us .41 Mag. fans believe that the .41 is an under-praised magnificent sleeper of a handgun cartridge ; --- that will do anything that the legendary .44 Mag will do in practical usage .

True , the .44 Mag. will always produce more on the last few percent of the very top-end of the power range .

But the difference , in practical hunting , or defense terms , -- is negligible .

Many don't know that a steady diet of very hot ( but still safe ) loads ; will gradually loosen up and knock out-of-time , a Smith N-Frame , in .44 Mag . ---- But the .41 Mag. will fare a lot better in this respect .

Actually , from an engineering standpoint , the N-Frame is perfectly suited to the .41 even with a constant diet of hot loads . --- Hot .44 loads are pushing it a bit .

Look at the Cylinder wall thickness on the .41's as compared to the .44 , --- more inherent strength there too .

And yet , paradoxically , the .41 , being a true .410 " bore , is very close to the .44 @ .429 " --- only .19 " difference .

Most internal wound ballistics break sharply at .40 cal. ( per the research of the Dept. of Justice , and other Govt. Agencies ) .

So you get most of the punch , with relatively less recoil .

Beartooth Bullets , and others , make some great , Heavy-for-Caliber bullets , --- like the 265 and 280 grain LBT types .

Paco's website tells of culling feral range cattle where
265 gr. LBT's , -- broke both shoulders , exited , and did massive damage to everything , in between , on
1000 lb. + tough animals .

At 265 gr. , --- The .41 has more sectional density , and will penetrate better on large animals than the .44 . ---- Obviously , the .44 can be moved up to , ( e.g. ) , 300 gr. , and will still outperform the .41 . --- But , the point is ; --- at any given wt. projectile , the .41 will always have more S.D. , -- if that's what you need .

Hang onto that magnificent Mod. 58 , --- it's good for almost anything you want to use it for , --- and then some .

--------------- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
MMCOUGAR,

You are really up on the 41 Magnum round. Your post is some of the best info I have read. Though I have never owned one I have shot a few and have always admired the round and it's capabilities.

The recoil is so managible it brings on a whole new discussion.

I don't know what the future holds for capable rounds like the .41 mag, with the emergence of the super mag carteridges but generations of shooters will miss some great shooting with the .41 mag.

SS

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** .41 Mag. -- BEST THING SINCE ICE CREAM ***

-- SIDESPIN -- Thanks for the nice compliment , Pardner .

I've been a .41 fan for many years , -- and don't believe it's exagerating to say that it's the best all-around handgun cartridge going .

There are many defense situations , ( as deployed against Dangerous Game as well as Personal Self-Defense ) ,
where , " recoil " is a critical ( life or death ) issue .

The new Super - Magnums you mentioned are really very specialized numbers , with very narrow practical applications .
Most of those applications are better met with a rifle .

IMHO , most of the psychology driving the market for the Big-Boomers , is the human urge to have " the most powerful handgun in the Valley " .

But for a Defense Handgun you NEED , -- a weapon that is as powerful as possible , --- WITHIN THE LIMITS OF GOOD-GROUPING , WHILE FIRING VERY RAPIDLY .

The .41 Mag . in one of S&W's N-Frames , is , in my opinion , optimum in this respect .

Last year , ( after many years of slobbering ) , I finally broke down and bought a Marlin M1894 FG ( in .41 Mag. ) . It's just about to come out of Jim Brockman's ( Gunsmith who specializes in Lever Guns ) , shortened to 17 inches , and tweeked to feed Beartooth's 280 Gr. LBT types .

336A --- might want to consider that his Dad's Mod. 58 , makes a perfect companion gun to go with a Marlin carbine .

Jack that .41 Cal. 265 or 280 Gr. LBT , --- up into the 1500 FPS . range out of a Rifle ; --- and you have a penetrating son-of-a-gun , that will take down almost anything in North America with authority , ( NOT :!: including CHARGING Dangerous Game ) .

----------------- MMCOUGAR .

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cougar,
Believe it or not I have been saying the same thing about the 41 in a defensive situation for quite some time, but you said it better than I could have. I really hope that the 41 will catch on and become a little more popular as it sucks having to pay darn near $40 for a box of Rem ammo. And when I try to find the other stuff ie.. Platinum tip or cast core ammo there is none to be found :roll: but you can be sure they have it in 44. I probably should have bought a 1894FG but I went with the the 1894ss for the reasons stated above, as well as there was no FG model available when I found the SS. You can bet your last dollar however that I will be reloading for the 41 here shortly and will be using the Beartooth 250gr as I don't see much here in NY that could live after taking one of those in the boiler.

·
Registered
363 Posts
336A said:
Bear Paw,
As you and others have advised me I will not be selling this gun. I never was I was just wondering what the value was is all, as I did not want to harm it if it had a great deal of value. However as you have already stated it would make a great packing gun and that is what I am planning on doing with it. I just need a good load to go with it. I am not going to be looking for a full power load, I am thinking of a moderately heavy cast bullet at about 1,000FPS. Anyone know where I might be able to find such an animal for this caliber?
336A, I have been shooting a S&W 57 and Marlin 1894S in .41 Mag. for many years. I love that combo, and have killed a Mule deer, a 400 pound Black bear, several coyotes and quite a few ground squirrels with them. A great combo which I use often out in the boonies.

Regarding your question above, if you're reloading, I suggest a good 210/215 grains hard cast SWC and 10.0 grains of Unique, with standard Large Pistol Primers. From your 4" bbl., that should run about 1,000 FPS, +/-. A really good easy shooting but still powerful load is same weight bullet with 8.5 grains Unique. runs about 925 FPS in my Mdl. 57.

Good luck. You should have good results from that Mdl. 58.

L.W.

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** FORGOT ***

Almost forgot to give you my favorite Standard Field Load , which will probably chrono out slightly over the 1000 FPS. you're looking for .

It's not a Hardcast ( and I do think that your druthers for Hardcast is a better idea ; --- especially if you select for the Heavier-For-Caliber ones , with the biggest Meplat available in LBT type ) .

But I developed this load many moons ago before the newer LBT's were readily available , --- and it has always been a very mild shooting and efficient load with excellent accuracy , and not a little Thump .

Speer's 220 Gr. JSP - Semi-Wadcutter shape

Over 10.3 Gr. --- HERCO .

Yields about 1100 FPS out of my Ruger 4 5/8 " -- SA .

( I've got several .41 Mag. Handguns , -- my favorite is a Mod. 57 - 4" S&W , -- similar to yours ) .

The Copper Jacket sure makes easy cleaning at the end of the day , if you're like me , --- ( i.e. a little obsessive about cleaning weapons ) .

Use a heavy roll crimp over the top of the copper jacket .

HERCO , is about as forgotten about as a Handgun powder , as .41 Mag. is as a Handgun cartridge . --- But it's slower than Unique , and is excellent for just the kind of loads we're talking about .

( Just for Safety and legalities , always start a grain or two lower than the above load , -- and work up slowly ) .

Best Regards , --------------- MMCOUGAR .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts