Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not the proper place to ask this question but........

Can anyone tell me how to find out what kind of gun this Serial Number belongs to: 25K60xx. Several years ago I had some handguns stolen, several of which I had no recorded SN. Today I found this number in an old gun box and I assume it was one of the numbers from the stolen guns.

It may be that of a Colt Python, 1950s vintage. I went to the “Colt Site”, hummm, forget that.

I would appreciate yur thoughts? Thanks,

Chugwater

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I think Hogger is on the right track. The 25K60xx would indicate a S&W K frame from the 1978-79 time frame.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I'm trying to find our something from Smith. I would like to turn this in to NCIC just in case, but I don't know what the gun is. You've been a great help.

Chug

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Might cost the $25 fee to have Jinks check the data, but he might have a smaller fee if all you want is the info, without the letter.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Do you recall owning anything like a Model 19 in 357? Or a K-22? SW

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neb,

I can't remember what the model was. I do know I bought it used in about 1958 and it was a very high polished blue, 4" barrel, stag grips, this was a large frame, the K19 & K22 were smaller frames weren’t they?

I know all that doesn't mean a thing, but I just can't remember more. If my wife hadn't found this serial number I wouldn't even be thinking about it.

Thanks for the info guys, and MM thanks but I think it's worth it to check, but I do appreciate the info.

Chug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts