Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is off the Remington site for calibers for Elk and Whitetail Deer and one would think with there Remington ammo.Why is not the Remington 300 or 405 in 45-70 included for atleast whitetails?

Now,I understand maybe why the Remington Ammo or caliber choice for Elk did not include the 45-70 but I do not understand why the mighty 45-70 even with green box ammo wasn't included for Whitetail Deer.

This actually surprised me that the 45-70 was not included in either or atleast for Deer.Any opinions or reasons as they sell 45-70 ammo?

Jayco

R

·
0 Posts
in advertising:
ya push yer best sellers! sorry, guys! we are not the top of the elite when it comes to sales apparently! Apparently not everybody wants or needs a 45-70...AND did ya notice...the 30-06 IS...AND NONE of the newer short mags are mentioned....now... what does that say to all ya budding big bore or short mag boomers?? oops! can't be sales...even the odd 8mm gets a splash! must be some leftovers from the ice age that they have in advertising....are they in touch with manufacturing??

·
Premium Member
9,146 Posts
They want to sell Magnums. Just read the gun rags, you NEED a magnum to do anything. I cant believe that they even listed the 30-30, 300 Savage, or 35 Rem.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
big medicine said:
They want to sell Magnums. Just read the gun rags, you NEED a magnum to do anything. I cant believe that they even listed the 30-30, 300 Savage, or 35 Rem.
Big Medicine-That also got me.The other lever guns-30-30-300 and 35 Rem but know mention of the great 45-70 for any animal.Makes ya wonder why when other levergun slow birds were mentioned?

I'm not posting this to kid about Green box ammo as it "Surpised" and and maybe even insulted me and the 45-70.

Jayco

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Well, as we have decided: Probably any centerfire they make will take a deer if you place your shot. I'm betting they just worked backwards and listed their best sellers, not what would be perfectly ok to use. I can't personally talk about elk, but I would think the same holds: Some is more popular and a bunch more will be ok if your a good/knowledgable shot.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm glad the 45/70 isn't mentioned, most likely they would up the
price a bit, due to high demand. As I see it... why would anyone
choose a 125 yard gun (45/70) over a rifle that shoots much further?
factory load wise, most of them have more energy, and better
trajectory than the 45/70. I think that the 45/70 is a personal choice,
such as shooting a muzzleloader. the vast majority of hunters want
the most efficient, accurate, rifles. The 45/70 is a traditionalist's gun.

I personally think the 45/70 is one of them "best kept secrets" kinda gun

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Jayco –

If you’ll notice, NONE of the elk cartridges listed were short range cartridges like the .30-30, .35 Rem or .45-70. I couldn’t find the page on the Remington site, but you’re calling the cartridges listed the “Best elk and deer cartridges”. It’s no surprise that these relatively short range cartridges didn’t make the cut for “best” when it comes to elk.

The .30-30 generates about half the recoil generated by the 300g .45-70 Remington load. If choosing one or the other for close cover white tail, I’d probably go with the .30-30 as well – most likely a 150g @ 2400fps and a mild 11.6 foot-pounds recoil. A great cartridge for the young and recoil sensitive, more than adequate for the task at hand. Darn near the perfect close cover white tail round IMHO.

For white tail at longer range, the .45-70 fails to make the cut for “best” based on its relatively short range again.

I did notice they left out some great cartridges for white tail that I would have included – the .243Win, .257 Roberts, and .25-06.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Remington does not condone "Ohio" cartridges. The 45-70 definitely has some "OH :shock: " on either end of the gun but the "high" part in the middle doesn't bring it into great favor either. Remember, it was designed to improve over a sharp stick (which it does very well). It doesn't, however, make the best thing since sliced bread (sliced bread came later). :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coyote Hunter said:
Jayco –

If you’ll notice, NONE of the elk cartridges listed were short range cartridges like the .30-30, .35 Rem or .45-70. I couldn’t find the page on the Remington site, but you’re calling the cartridges listed the “Best elk and deer cartridges”. It’s no surprise that these relatively short range cartridges didn’t make the cut for “best” when it comes to elk.

The .30-30 generates about half the recoil generated by the 300g .45-70 Remington load. If choosing one or the other for close cover white tail, I’d probably go with the .30-30 as well – most likely a 150g @ 2400fps and a mild 11.6 foot-pounds recoil. A great cartridge for the young and recoil sensitive, more than adequate for the task at hand. Darn near the perfect close cover white tail round IMHO.

For white tail at longer range, the .45-70 fails to make the cut for “best” based on its relatively short range again.

I did notice they left out some great cartridges for white tail that I would have included – the .243Win, .257 Roberts, and .25-06.
Coyote-I wasn't calling any of them my choices just a picture of there page.This was totally Remington not Jayco this time..You know my choices and I know yours but I was surprised they left out the 45-70 for atleast Deer..Here is the link you couldn't find. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.remington.com/support/sugchart.htm#elk

It shows all the recommended by Remington Rifles for even birds.I was only surprised not knocking "This Time Only". :lol:

Jayco

·
Banned
1,702 Posts
Part of the problem is that a pretty good precentage of 45/70 shooters reload because they have found the factory loads it be rather wimpy, well they are when a 300 grain bullet drops 18" at 200 yards with a 100 yard zero. They are very wimpy when compared to the reloads many of us do, which means we don't buy their ammo anyway. To me their recommendations make sense as RugerCal480 says they push what sells the most.

Y

·
0 Posts
Might there be a marketing advantage to claiming just a few cartridges as optimum for deer or elk or, really anything? That could translate into the (probably imagined) necessity of owning a specific deer, elk, moose, mouse, anything...rifle. Remington gets to sell more rifles and ammunition that way! :wink:

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
They also left out the 35 Whelen and the .375 H&H. What's up with that?

·
Registered
542 Posts
looking at Jayco's initial post.....those cartridges ARE the most
popular. Although I wasn't aware that the ol 300 savage was
that popular.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jackfish said:
They also left out the 35 Whelen and the .375 H&H. What's up with that?
Jackfish-If you go to the Remington link on my reply to Coyote they do recommend the .35 Whelen for Black Tail Deer and the .375 H&H for Muskox.Someone must have been board to list the calibers as they did for the game intended without experience one could only assume.

Sometimes I wonder about the Manufactorers even Marlin and some of the answers one gets on a phone call or e-mail when in appearence the receptionist is trying to answer things.No tech know-how.

Jayco

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think what they are trying to say is you don't need a 45/70 to bring down a 150# whitetail deer. :idea:

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's obviously a communist plot Jayco!

I guess the 45-70 isn't "sexy" like the bottle-necked wonders... To the latte-sipping crowd it's got to be a WSM or some wonder-Mag or it just can't possibly be an effective round.

·
Registered
153 Posts
They forgot the BMG 50 cal. flat shooting, minimal deflection. I wonder how all those Elk , Deer and Bison died befor the first 30 cal smokeless ammo came along. I guess they just fell down with smoke inhalation from the BP and were either trampled by their herds or had their throats cut by sturdy pioneer types

·
Banned
1,702 Posts
Whitedog said:
They forgot the BMG 50 cal. flat shooting, minimal deflection. I wonder how all those Elk , Deer and Bison died befor the first 30 cal smokeless ammo came along. I guess they just fell down with smoke inhalation from the BP and were either trampled by their herds or had their throats cut by sturdy pioneer types
Now don't go sugar coating it. Tell us what you really think. I agree the 50BMG will get the job done from 5 miles out, it's the retrieving part that's a pain, unless you have a chopper.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts