Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far do you back off your bows for the off season?

I bought a Matthews Switchback XT a year ago. This is/was my first season hunting with it.
It tops out at 70 lbs. but I shot it this fall backed off four turns. Guessing 62 lbs. of pull.
Do I need to back it off any more till practice starts next summer?

What do you guys do?

Thanks...

Sas

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Both my bows sit is a rack in my hallway. They are relaxed, and de-strung.
I wont string them until Im going to shoot them.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I shoot a 3D course or 2 most months through the off season and just leave it as is (compound), never had an issue.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Between the indoor league ...the outdoor league......the 3 D shoots and huntin season my poor bow never gets a break........and with these fancy no stretch strings ya hardly ever have to change em

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Clean it, lube it, and wax the string and cable. Practice with it often in the off season. You should be shooting better than knew by next season. Keep an eye on any steel parts making sure they are dry before storage nothing like seeing rusty screw heads on an expensive bow.

Andrew

·
Registered
603 Posts
yup, keep everything lubed and waxed and shoot shoot shoot all year long!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I shoot year round so storage is not an issue. I have hunted in some pretty miserable conditions and my bow shows it but it is in good safe shooting condition. I replace my string about every two years no matter what and I keep it well waxed all the time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The only bow I de-string (is that a word :-\) is my recurve. Proper maintainence is the key, wax, lube and clean is the best medicine.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Dont think its needed with a modern compound. You cant de-string it anyway so IMO reducing the draw weight & restoreing it next year wont do anything except maybe get the bow out of tune. As soon as you turn a limb bolt you start messing with tiller. I just shoot mine & hang it up when not in use. Sat for months before season. I shot a few arrows to check zero & then went & bagged this guy, IMO everything seemed fine. ;D

·
Registered
539 Posts
I shoot my switchback xt year round and just keep it in the bow case when not in use. I keep the string waxed, check the pull weight and tune every year, and replace the strings every 3-4 years unless they get looking bad sooner (which they never have).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts