Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple months ago while stripping the bolt of my '52 336 came to find that the firing pin is magnatized! NOTHING else with the bolt assembly is!
Noticed it when the two little keeper pins rolled and stuck to it. At first it was oil that made them stick but the pin can PULL light things TO it!

It has never been hit by lightning that I'm aware of, although Pop had the gun for a while for safe keeping.
ANYBODY got an idea??

Regards, Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Jack:

Annyone who does magnaflux work can de magnatize it for you, Sounds like it was stored around a lot of electrical wiring at one time, or it could have been magnafluxed at the factory prior to assembly, and was missed when the batch was de magnatized.

Lee L.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas....

You answered the real question if it was supposed to me magnetized. That factory Marlin pin was put in maybe 30 years ago, it's the second replacement! They would break dry firing below 30deg. ( The last one broke due to a thumb slip in Canada.)

Regards, Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,244 Posts
Really no reason that it would hurt to be magnetized, although as you surmised, it shouldn't be. Unless it's very highly magnetized, a simple sharp tap on a vise, or other heavy metal object will knock the the magnetism out of it.
If that doesn't work, I use a small demagnetizer I found at a hardware store to magnetize or demagnetize small screwdrivers and parts. They are a couple dollars, and really work to either magnetize or demagnetize anything small and round like screws, screwdrivers, or your firing pin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mm 93...
I'm going to demagnitize. It's real odd, it's the long pin only! My only concern is that it would stay forward and possibly cause a slam fire! I think it shouldn't but there is always that doubt in my mind!
I'm going to call Marlin to get a new pin anyway and run this by them! I'll keep the demaged one for a spare.
Thanks, Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,244 Posts
Unless the pin is strongly magnetized, it couldn't stay forward with enough strength to ignite a primer. You could always prime some cases and give it a try, without any powder or bullet. I'd bet it's OK, but if it gives you peace of mind to buy a new pin, then by all means do so.
Have fun shooting the old Marlin!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top