Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
457 Posts
I don't know about the camo finish at all.

I may be wrong here but the As were made for secondary sales from hardware stores, sears, etc back in the day

Like I said I am probably wrong.

·
Banned
457 Posts
quote from member swamp dude

"According to Col. Brophy, the recognized expert on Marlin history, the 30AS rifles were produced 1984-1988 bearing the Marlin brand name. However, the Colonel's book, "A HISTORY OF THE GUNS AND THE COMPANY THAT MADE THEM", was copyrighted in 1989; production continued beyond 1988 because a previous post indicated they were made in 1989. I found another source referencing 30AS that indicated they were made until 2000. I suspect production of this model ceased long before Remington became involved.

Model 30AS was also manufactured in 1983 as a Glenfield rifle.

Hope this is interesting, if not helpful. By the way, the suggested retail for a Marlin 30AS in 1988 was $277.95."

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I believe there have been several people who posted pic's of factory camo Marlins here in the past. No idea if the value is any greater or less than any other Marlin though.

·
Banned
457 Posts
I got my Marlin 30 AS last year for $275.00 a 1984 model

·
Premium Member
10,808 Posts
That is a rare factory Marlin, but not super valuable as most people prefer wood on them. It would be a neat addition to a collection.

Reactions: dhansen

·
Registered
325 Posts
It sure looks different than any Marlin I've ever seen. Seems kinda retro-tacticool to me.. but not in a dumb tacky sort of way. Congrats on a unique rifle!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice find, I've never seen one like that before.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
not to disagree with you all, but I believe the correct ID for the camo rifle is a 336cc.I have seen one in person also.
I think the 30AS and the 336 models both had camouflage versions. I agree with you that the 336CC may very well be the designation for the 336, but the Marlin factory tag on mine denotes "C30AS" as the camo version, as shown in a previous post in this thread. Any idea how many were produced?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Nice purchase. Yes, they exist. I bought one from an original owner's son, he even gave me a signed note swearing it came from the factory, ordered by his Dad like that. He was a stand up guy and we had already agreed upon the price. I believed him. There is a Redfield scope on the gun which was also camo'd at the factory, all at once.

At the time there was some discussion on M/O as to whether our 30AS was "real", truly factory. It's real. A M/O member who used to work in the factory commented on the thread that he remembered the CT factory producing some of those. Yes, stocks are birch, patterned just like your picture.

As to value, we don't care as we don't collect... we buy to shoot 'em. The gun is not mine; I gave it to my boy for Christmas. It is my bet as more younger folk discover lever guns the desirability of these scarce factory camo'd Marlin 30-30's will increase. Although the naturally grumpy, wizened old grampa types don't favor camo on a Marlin, my kid thinks his lever is the ultimate in cool. Hmmmm, do kids say "cool" anymore...?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.