Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perusing the near empty used gun rack at Cabela's today & saw a Marlin on the bottom. Looked to be in decent shape, price wasn't terrible either. Just another 30-30 I don't need another of, but what I noticed was a serial # that started with 91. Maybe one of the last, I thought, till I couldn't find a JM stamp on it. Looked at the right side & there it was.......REP. I wasn't aware that these were out there. Thought all the Rems were MR prefixes. Well, now I know better. Needless to say, I put it back post haste. Too many better ones to spend my $$ on.
Missed a 38-55 Cowboy for $600 at the show here Saturday by 2 minutes. Was busy buying another Leupold I didn't need. Ugh!!!!
Mark

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
LOL, I like to go early, take a quick spin around for the obvious ( 10 - 15 minutes) and then dive into each booth. The good deals on things that I am interested in go early.

·
Super Moderator
16,959 Posts
What you saw was probably a "transition gun". Remington assembled and proofed using left over Marlin parts. Parts were probably the last of the good stuff before they tried the leaner method and started screwing up a good thing. Gotta love progress

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
What you saw was probably a "transition gun". Remington assembled and proofed using left over Marlin parts. Parts were probably the last of the good stuff before they tried the leaner method and started screwing up a good thing. Gotta love progress
LOL!...............Those parts were FAR from left over!...................

Remington pushed the North Haven workers to produce those parts so they could "keep going", until they learned to make the parts themselves in Ilion...................They never did learn...........

Tom

·
Registered
957 Posts
MR. Fixit has it right . I had heard of those being out there. When Conn got shut down it was down. They just picked up all parts and Rem was the owner. Rem was allowed to use left over parts but had to use their own proof stamp. I got a 1894 DL that was made during the transition, I was lucky as it turned to be a good rifle. I fell for the same trap. DL serial # but REP proof. My 94 was # 166 of the DL line. Maybe that is why I got a NIB for $260 less than MSR. I think any thing in the '09 or '10 years could be suspect. Just the way I understand it.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Super Moderator
16,959 Posts
Tom, I understand they were not "left overs", but from your posts I do know that you guys made up a bunch of parts "leftovers" if you will for Remington to used....and you're right they didn't get it then and sometimes it seems they start to get it, then oops!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have one those transition guns it's also the most accurate of my bunch.Wife bought it for me brand new back in '09 so I surely could not part with it.Other than the rep on the barrel can't tell any difference between it and my '97 model.

Reactions: Judson

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
Tom, I understand they were not "left overs", but from your posts I do know that you guys made up a bunch of parts "leftovers" if you will for Remington to used....and you're right they didn't get it then and sometimes it seems they start to get it, then oops!
Dave,
I can't accept the term "Leftovers"................We had nothing leftover.

Remington ordered enough parts to keep them (trying) to build Marlins for about 6 months...............and they started ordering "parts" as soon as they told us of the closure...........

If anything, Remington may have tried to build rifles with "takeoff" parts that they thought they could salvaged.........They took every current production part that had a SKU number........

I was only up at Remington two times, and when I politely refused to "re-apply" for an Ilion MFG ENG job, I was not asked to help them any further in Ilion...............I still wonder why???.......LOL!!!

As I recall............the job I was asked to re-apply for only paid about 2/3's or less of what I was making in North Haven...............When I asked about the pay differential, I was told the cost of living was lower in Ilion.....and then there was talk about union scale with the coal miners union......Maybe so, but by that time, I'd become un-amused by everything Remington and remain so, today..............

Remington and Cerberus took Marlin to the grave with greed and stupidity................nothing more to be said..........

Tom

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My 1894CSS is a transition gun marked North Haven on the barrel but with the REP stamp. This is currently the only Remlin I own but it would take a huge sum of money for me to ever part with.
My 2013 336C has the barrel like that too, and the receiver has the sharp square corners, not the rounded. I cant say I dont like the gun. I did have to clean up all the moving parts, but its a nice rifle. It just might be my go to deer hunter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.