Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 89 I have has an octagon foreend with a small sliver that came off the upper right side. I could try to clean and sand it, but the sliver is only about 1/4" to 3/8" wide, and runs the intire length of the foreend. I don't know if it will look right when I'm done attempting it, and maybe the glue won't hold. It is the typical oil soaked wood, so I have my doubts. Does anyone offer used foreends of that era? If not, then I'll give it a try. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I would be willing to make an attempt at gluing the sliver back on for you if you would like. If you are interested, PM me and we'll chat...

Shum8

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
If you don't have the sliver of wood anymore, then let me know, and I'll cut one from a scrap 1889 forearm, with the same problem. Then you can trim it straight, match the edges, and glue it in place.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the offers guys, I appreciate it. And I guess that means that there aren't any spare foreends out there. So, I had better treat this one like gold. That is good to know. The stock looks rough but is in okay condition. Now, I need help from you guys, as to what would be the best glue for this type of repair? I'm willing to try it myself, and I will be as careful as I can knowing the age and condition of the foreend. I assume that are a few steps before the glue is applied, and would appreciate a few pointers in that direction. I hadn't planned on refinishing the stock or foreend, so that won't be a problem. I appreciate the beatup look of the wood. I'm in the process of getting the mechanical end working as it should, and removing the mess from the metal. I have replaced some internal parts, and have added some that weren't there to begin with. I realize that they are extremely hard to come by, and expensive when you do. I still have a lot of internal stoning to do. Slowly but surely. Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
dbard,
I usually just use Elmers wood glue, unless the affected arwea is under pressure from recoil, or such. Thyen I use Acraglass. For the repair you're doing, Elmers wood glue should do great.
Before fitting in the patch, I always sand or cut the area to remove the stained or oil soaked wood. That dark finish usually doesn't go all that deep, so it wont take much. I then cut the repair piece slightly larger and trial fit it to the stock wood. Finally I apply the glue, and lightly clamp it; leaving it 24 hrs. to set up. It can then be sanded and shaped to fit the rest of the adjacent wood.
If you want it to be dark, and old looking, you'll need to stain it. If you can't get it dark enough with stain, here's a trick. Get a baby foood, or juice jar, and drop part of a steel wool pad into it, then fill it with vinegar, cap it, and put it away for a couple months. After it has time to rust up, the solution can be applied with a rag to the wood, to darken it.
This solution will literally turn wood black if you use too much, or let it sit on the wood, so wipe it quick, and wipe it off. The old gunsmiths of the muzzzleloader era, used to use this formula to color the metal and the wood, on guns they built.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hey, a method I have used a couple of times is a watercolor set. Ycan match any stain or oil soaked color!. moodyholler

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
marlinman and moodyholler, thanks for the replies. I was at Lowes today, and I was looking at the various types of glues that were available on todays market. But, I decided to wait to see if anyone responded to my questions, and see what advice was given. I'll be going back later this week, so I'll pick up the glue then. If I could use the original piece that split off, then I wouldn't have to worry about matching the color. And my woodworking skills are somewhat questionable. But here again too, if I really don't have to remove very much wood as you said marlinman, I might just clean it up lightly, glue and clamp. If I screw that up, then you can be sure I'll be on here asking more questions. Either way, I'll let you guys know the outcome. Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts