Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the CB's and Zane Gray's, any other 30-30's with the barrel that says "STOP"? (Stop sign, 8 sides ::)). For some reason I seem to be getting the urge for one. No,no, it's not Marlinitis. This is just cause a guy should have one, ya know? So don't start thinkin like that, ain't so :-\. DP

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
There was a model 336 Octagon.......made in '71 or so....IIRC

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I don't recall the early octagon barrels (Zane Grey or 336 Octagon) having the stop sign!? think that barrel marking was introduced later with the CB, and after more lawyer legal liability BS? will have to look at my 336...

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry gewehr, that was my poor attempt at humor. Our stop signs are octagon shaped and every time I see a Marlin with an octagon barrel, I have to stop to look and fondle it. ;D DP

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I understood your humor DP ;D

·
Premium Member
10,949 Posts
dpe.ahoy said:
Sorry gewehr, that was my poor attempt at humor. Our stop signs are octagon shaped and every time I see a Marlin with an octagon barrel, I have to stop to look and fondle it. ;D DP
dp,

I got your littlejoke too.................Obviously, some of us are MORE infected than others. :eek:..........Yeah, I agree.......The Octogons do seem to have a little added character......

Tom

·
Registered
549 Posts
Isn't there a law somewhere that says, if you own more than two lever actions that at least one of them must have an octagon barrel? Better safe than sorry, go ahead and get one. 8)

·
Registered
436 Posts
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
Isn't there a law somewhere that says, if you own more than two lever actions that at least one of them must have an octagon barrel? Better safe than sorry, go ahead and get one. 8)

OHHH, OHHHH! Find that law so I can show my wife! ;) :p

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
::) I thought the law was 5 octagon rifles .. I over comply ;D

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has to be more than one, my 38-55 CB is gettin lonely. :( Hey! If ya put a 38-55 CB and a 30-30 ZG in the same safe and play romantic music, would you get a 35 Rem with a Octagon barrel and straight grip? ??? 8) ;D Talk about a love story. :-* DP

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
Isn't there a law somewhere that says, if you own more than two lever actions that at least one of them must have an octagon barrel?
If it is not a law, it should be!

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I thought it was funny too ...

I think there is a misperception by some that octagons = heavy. In my opinion, octagon barrels on a Marlin are so well designed that they balance perfectly and the actual weight difference is negated. Though I have never owned or fired a short barreled Marlin (less than 20'), the best feeling Marlin I have ever handled is my 1894 CB .357 with a 24" barrel. It might not be worth much, but that is my opinion.

And yes ... everyone should own at least one "STOP" Marlin though asking prices these days are through the roof.

bjm

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Good for you on the Article II, I have the 336 Octagon. One of my guntrade regrets is an 1894 Octagon that i traded away (at least it was a good price at the time) not knowing at the time that they were hard to come by. Someday perhaps I will get lucky and find another and one of the several older Model 39s with the eight sided barrel. Enjoy, Jack

1 - 14 of 14 Posts