Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I was at a gun show this weekend looking to stock up on ammo for my 336 in 35 Rem. The going rate of a box at the LGS is around $30+ tax for corelokts or leverevo so I wanted to see if I could beat that at the show. After checking out all the ammo dealers I found a box of 200gr SP in 35 Rem from a company called "Obsolete Ammunition" out of Oregon for $22. They have a disclaimer on the box that some of their brass may be reshaped from a different caliber as the brass for older calibers may not be available. I opened the box and was pleased to see all Winchester 35 Rem brass that looked clean and new. I cant seem to find anything online about this company or how their ammo stacks up, so I was wondering if anyone has used this stuff. The guy at the table didn't know much about the company either, just that they make so rare cartridges that no one else does.

I am at work now, but I will post some photos tonight.

Thanks

-S&W915

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've never heard of them, but I did find some 30 Remington still being made by Wisconsin Cartridge. I'm glad to see more companies working to fill that demand.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I'd imagine that with all the recent surge in sales of 9mm, 45ACP, .22, .223, .308 that some of the round like .35Rem ain't gonna be available for while

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never had a problem finding ammo for the 35Rem around these parts, there are even some people that sell handloads. I just have never heard of thes guys before and even Mr. Google cant seem to dig up any info on these guys

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
When I need .35 Rem. ammo, I walk down to Walmart and buy some in the green-and-yellow box...

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Best way to find an obsolete gun is to rely on federally controlled ammo manufacturers for it. Best way to avoid having an obsolete gun is to gather enough components and reloading equipment to last a life time. Owner of two 7mm-06's .32 Special. Neither are common off the shelf items.

Roll your own and shoot way more often.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not saying that 35 rem is an obsolete round, I am saying is that the name of the company that made this stuff is called "Obsolete Ammunition"

photos on the way

·
Premium Member
10,726 Posts
I have heard of them, but cant remember where.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Those are pretty steep prices for ammo. I just bought 2 boxes of LEVERevolution 160Gr. FTX for $23.99, for my 30-30Win, a box and thats the expensive stuff around here. I usually pay around $16.99-$19.99 a box for Federal Power-Shok, Win Super-X, Fusion or Remington Core-Lokt. The only thing I've seen close to that $30 a box is LEVERevolution 140Gr. Mono-Flex and that's usually $28.99-$29.99 a box. I usually see 35Rem in the same ball park, usually about 3-5 dollars more a box. i saw Remington Core-Lokt 200Gr., LEVERevolution 200Gr. for $26.99 a box 4 days ago at my LGS.
But I have never heard of OA before either.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
30-30 is drastically cheaper than 35rem due to supply alone. 35rem seems to be a bit more unique of a caliber and everywhere I have looked, even online, has them all around $30 a box. I recently found a local guy that sells his hand loads for $20 a box I just have to make it down to his shop.

I was just looking to see if anyone had anything thing good or bad to say about this company or their cartridges. Ill follow up with a range report when I have a chance to get out there.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I alway's wanted a 35 Rem never thought it was Obsolete lol.
Funny thing is I can't ever remember a Canadian ammo company ie C.I.L or Imperial or even Dominion all really just name changes over the last 60 years listing a 35 Rem? you could get 11mm Mauser though. Now sadly we dont even make are own ammo!

We used to have a few shotgun shell company's after Imperial died that made great ammo.

Now the nice thing about the U.S is you have lot's of small ammo makers and they support us ******* odd ball shooters, heck last time I was down south I bought some of that 45/70 ammo Cabelas sells somthing Cowbow? All I can say it was cheaper than me reloading for the old Trapdoor and shot better than my home cast load ( I feel bad about that!!) And even my Marlin liked it I am so peed I sold that 45/70 the second one I sold in 2 years but hay still got the trap and maybe it was a sign that really Iam a .444 guy . Now for me I don't care who or where my ammo is made as long as I can get brass I really hate big case forming jobs I for one would like to see more .303 Savage Brass around!
Bottom line you did good by shopping around. Save the Brass!!

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Thanks S&W, good info to have!

·
Premium Member
6,339 Posts
I've heard of them, but not with 35 Rem. I don't remember ever hearing anything bad or negative about them, so it must not be too bad a company. I thought they handled mostly "obsolete" wildcat cartridges or old calibers that haven't been produced in decades.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've heard of them, but not with 35 Rem. I don't remember ever hearing anything bad or negative about them, so it must not be too bad a company. I thought they handled mostly "obsolete" wildcat cartridges or old calibers that haven't been produced in decades.
Exactly my thoughts, though it seems .35 Rem is a dying breed. Maybe they are preparing for something

Regardless, I stockpile.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont think 35rem is a dying breed. In the thick brush of the Northeast this caliber is adored and very common.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts