Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys go to the max on your OAL (2.55)?

I've been sitting at 2.2 for some time

Is ther a too short

How does this change accuracy ?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would think that accuracy would suffer being that short. Generally speaking the jump the bullet makes to the rifling should be small. In some calibers and configurations the bullets are driven into the rifling slightly but this can also cause excessive pressure. If your rifle is shooting to your satisfaction with what you're doing now I don't think I would worry about it too much.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Do you guys go to the max on your OAL (2.55)?

I've been sitting at 2.2 for some time

Is ther a too short

How does this change accuracy ?
I have never even heard of a cartridge loaded to 2.2" COAL for a 45/70!
At that COAL you only have 1/10" of bullet sticking out of the case!
Do you mean 2.52"?

Post pictures of your bullets with part numbers or mould numbers.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I load to max aol and let the cycling tell me if the gun likes it or not. also if the bullet kisses the rifling I find it more accurate. ymmv. just don't get a bullet jammed into the rifling as this spikes pressures and if you should not fire it for some reason when extracting may pull the bullet. makes a mess.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My legal Indiana ( case length not over 1.8" ) 45-50 experimental rounds testing using Remington 405 gr JSP gave me these groups @ 50 yds.
COL = 2.520 and 14.0 gr Unique, 1.12"
COL = 2.496 and 15.0 gr Unique, 0.25". After this group, I didn't do any more testing.
Used the 15 gr load to take a deer this past season.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Mine are 2.578" & work fine.
I use a Rem. 405gr JSP.

Speer lists 2.550 as max OAL for the 95 Marlin.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My legal Indiana ( case length not over 1.8" ) 45-50 experimental rounds testing using Remington 405 gr JSP gave me these groups @ 50 yds.
COL = 2.520 and 14.0 gr Unique, 1.12"
COL = 2.496 and 15.0 gr Unique, 0.25". After this group, I didn't do any more testing.
Used the 15 gr load to take a deer this past season.
going to have to use that 2.496 and 15 if I can find some rem 405's. seems they have dried up.

Reactions: packard

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have never even heard of a cartridge loaded to 2.2" COAL for a 45/70!
At that COAL you only have 1/10" of bullet sticking out of the case!
Do you mean 2.52"?

Post pictures of your bullets with part numbers or mould numbers.
Yep ur right I went back and just measured its 2.52
Thanks

Thanks for the input guys.
I'm did my my last batch at 2.545

·
Registered
900 Posts
Thanks

I would say that it's plenty close enough.

Reactions: oh-behi

·
Registered
825 Posts
I tend to follow the recommendations in the reloading manuals, or where the cennelure/crimping groove is on the bullet.
The only bullet which I personally do NOT seat and crimp into the crimp groove or cannelure is the Remington 405 grain JSP. It doesn't have one. "It must be crimped on the taper between the shank and the ogive." to cycle thru the 1895.

Reactions: Frank V and Flyfish

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
If I load a bullet with a cannelure grove, I crimp it so that the case ends in the middle of the groove.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Thanks

Glad you found the OAL that works for you.

Too long of an overall length & the loaded round won't eject if you don't fire it, this is a real pain.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Glad you found the OAL that works for you.

Too long of an overall length & the loaded round won't eject if you don't fire it, this is a real pain.
I found this with the rem 405s so I load just short enough to extract a live round, everything else the crimp groove positions the bullet about .040" off the rifling which seems to work fine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I crimp the Hornady 325 gr to just below the top of the cannelure and the OAL is 2.59". It cycles through the gun well.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
oh-behi

Old Tom

I just played around with the 405gr Rem. till I found what my rifle liked. You do have to crimp over the shank where the bullet starts to taper.
It works for me, so I'm doing it that way. If I had the money I might buy a cannelure tool & make a crimp groove?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Frank

I think I loaded the rems a bit longer than the crimp groove dictated so I crimped on the parallel portion (with the Lee factory crimp die) because they are bit pointy and a long way off the rifling, the limiting factor was the ejection port with a live round.

I have an idea the OAL I ended up with was 2.63" but I only log on from work these days so I don't have my notes handy and I haven't used the rem 405s for a few years as they are not currently available here.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I just went back & checked an earlier post, my OAL is 2.578" & it works well for me.
I think we do have some leeway with the .45-70 & 95 Marlin, but not as much as some other rifles particularly single shots.
Good Shooting.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
My understanding on the OAL problem is that you should make a casting of your chamber....measure the distance from the bolt to the start of grooves/lands and seat your bullet so that it has around a thousanths clearance for the jump.... it also has to be short enough to eject so some compromise may be in order, or a trip to your favorite gunsmith to alter the rifle so it will unload the unfired round.... or pick a different bullet with a better olgive???? jmo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts