Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oregon Arms Collectors gun show next Sunday, the 30th of May! The theme is 20th Century Military Arms. Not my thing, but I know I'm in the minority on that line of thinking!
See you local fellas there at the Jackson Armory!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Hey mm93,

I just have been so swamped that I haven't had time to check in. I've almost got the deal done on buying another 60 acres. I've been farming it since spring so that has certainly added to my work load. Just wanted to post something so you guys wouldn't think I dropped off the face of the earth!

When ever I get time I'm shooting that 1895 Cowboy and learning more about it. It truely is a good one for shooting. I'm gaining more admiration for it all the time.

You all take care!

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi Geoff,
I was just up in eastern Washington, (Spokane) this weekend, and was wondering where you had been! I'm sure this is a very busy time for your line of work! Good to hear you're still kicking and shooting those Marlins!
Drove through Moses Lake on the way back, just for a change of scenery from the I395 boredom!

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Marlinman93:

How was your gun show this past weekend and did you find something you just could not leave there?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The show was one of the best we've had! Almost hate to mention my good fortune, but...... since you asked!
Bought a ton of reloading tools, over 30 shell holders, a set of collet style press bullet pullers, over 30 dies for RCBS and Lyman lubrisizers, a set of Lyman Mstyle case neck expanders, and 6 boxes of .17HMR ammo; all for $60!
Also bought a reproduction Colt 1851 Navy revolver, with cartridge conversion to .38 S&W, like new, for $10! That's not a misprint, but ten dollars. The guy just wanted to get all this junk out of his basement! People were all over his 6-7 tables of ammo, bullets, powder, and reloading supplies, like flies on doggy doo! It was crazy! A friend of mine bought 80 pounds of various powder for $25!
Later on when the dust settled, I was able to look around the show. Another friend had a Peabody Martini single shot military rifle on his table. It was in gorgeous shape, and had an unusual marking on the receiver "Steyr 1880". I had never seen a large frame Martini made by Steyr, and after I showed some interest, he let me have it for what he paid a number of years ago. After some quick internet searching, and some direction from NebrHogger, I found out it is a "very very very very rare" Martini! Made only 1 1/2 years, and made for the Romanians, and Swiss Vatican guards. Seems I may have somehow kept my string of luck going, and fallen into it again, without even trying!
I'll be headed out tommorrow morning to pick the Steyr Martini up! It's been a long week waiting to get the new toy in my hands!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Morning fellows,
This is just living proof that the "MAGNET" still works. Instead of Mr. Vall being called Marlinman93,MM93, I think we all should maybe start calling him "MMM" standing for Marlin-Mans-Magnet. To me this fits this guys MO.
What a great find you did.Do you have your play pretty in your hands yet?
Lets see a picture of her.

:D :lol: 8) :D :lol: 8) :D

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Boy it's great to hear people can still score at gun shows. Congratulations on you good fortune, vall.

djh

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I picked it up this morning, and posted a couple pictures here on the public forum. Got some great history with the gun also. The family had pictures of their grandfather, and articles about Company G second regiment of the Oregon Volunteers. I really haven't had a chance to sit down and read the entire history of this gentleman, and his career, but he brought back 5-6 rifles from Manilla, after WWI, not WWII as was previously told to me.
I guess nobody else in the family was interested in this heirloom. This always amazes me that they wouldn't keep it, especially since they have had it so long, and went to the trouble of documenting the history?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Steyr

MM93, It's a good thing you wound up with it. Being the ignorant heathen I am, I would not have been able to prevent myself from firing it! :D SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hogger,
Well, I'm not saying I wont either! I hate guns that I can't fire! I know I told our helpful friend on that other site I would consider not firing it, but darn if it isn't calling to me! How could you not fire this gun?
Got some reading in on the owner! He was born in 1859, and upon reading the info, I discovered he was part of the US forces during the Spanish American War! Some of the documents show him as being commander of the 2nd Regiment Oregon Volunteers.
He was discharged in 1898, due to a severe case of malaria. His British army career was quite colorful also, having served in Burma, Kyber Pass, Afghanistan (Kandahar), and Bombay India. Discharged in 1884, he became discouraged with England, and moved his wife and children to the States, where he became a citizen in 1889. He lived in St Louis, Denver, and finally landed here in Portland. Joined the National Guard in 1895, as a Sgt, and was promoted to Capt. in 1897, activated in 1898, and discharged later that year.
Some really interesting reading about him, plus lots of articles about the regiment, and the rifle! This is great fun!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Steyr

I wish I could have met the previous owner - I bet he could have written quite a book! Makes me wonder if the person who had the Steyr before him "lost interest in it"! :shock: The history of the American volunteer units in the Spanish-American war is quite a story in itself. If you get interested in that topic later on, I have some book titles from the bibliography of a paper I wrote on the subject. One of my wife's ancestors commanded an American volunteer regiment in that conflict.

Keep us posted on any shooting you do - I've no doubt I will learn something for my own Euro metric shooting projects! :D SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I got this gun from a friend, who got it from the grandson, I also got some references that my friend found. He gave me copies of two publications, Oregon In The Phillipines, and Campaigning In The Phillipines. Both are diary type books that list day to day, and unit by unit, what each unit encountered or where they went. Some of it is pretty dry reading, but interesting as it pertains to this history.
I found one entry particularly humorous;
"They went to San Francisco by train, and by ship to Hawaii, and on to Guam, which was under Spanish rule. Upon arriving at Guam, they fired a few shots towards shore. The Governor of the island came out in a small boat, and apologised for not returning their salute. As he had no ammo for his cannons he was unable to return the salute. Upon being told that this was not a salute, and that they were at war, he seemed a bit confused, as no word of war was sent to him."
Now that's a classic!
Oregon Volunteers served a little over one year fighting Spanish insurrgents in the islands. The Oregon Volunteer Infantry was the first US troops to set foot on shore during the S-A War.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts