Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Show was great, as usual. Found some items I "needed" so that was good. Picked up an original Ballard Long Range Gallery vernier tang sight. Also got a NIB Lyman 400 gr., .40 Sharps bullet mold, and 60 cases of 9.3x72R RWS new unprimed brass for my.40-70 (whenever it gets back home!).
As always had a lot of fun visiting and sharing tall tales. :wink:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Went to a gun show myself today. Didn't see anything that would be magnet worthy as far as Marlin's go. A couple of Model 39's, one perported to be a first year gun. Guy had over $800 on it, myself I didn't think it was that nice.........Buck 8) :roll:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, and I can't figure out how someone decides their 39 is a "first year" gun? Since nobody knows what number they started with, it's hard to tell what year a certain 39 might be. Bill Brophy said the lowest serial number he knew of was 1002, and I saw one that was a 3 digit, but it was 9xx.
Guess we'd have to make some assumptions to even guesstimate this.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
marlinman93 said:
Since nobody knows what number they started with, it's hard to tell what year a certain 39 might be.
:D :D In that case, mine is a first year gun too :D :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow!!! Those early graduated sights are not that easy to find. I'm sure you know that they were made for serial # 3500 and before according to JD. So if they put them on every rifle (and of course, they didn't), there would only be a total of 3500. If you figure that the screw type vernier accounted for some of the 3500 and a lot of them didn't even have a tang sight, probably only around 1500 total (and yes, a total guess). So pretty rare. I found one for my #5 in 44-75 out of New York, one came on the 3-barrel set and I only know of one other in Texas that was for sale, but probably gone now.

So you did good.....pretty soon it will cost more for some of these sights than it does for the rifle. :shock: :shock: :D

max

1 - 7 of 7 Posts