Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time again! Our December gun show will be Sunday the 19th, from 7:00 AM to Noon! This month's collector display theme will be Kid's Guns.
The December show is always well attended, so get there early, or you'll miss the best deals! If you can't get there early, then at least make it for the displays. The theme brings out quite a variety of displays from all sorts of little .22 rifles, to antique toy guns, and cap guns.
I will be doing a display of Marlin lever action .22's from 1891 to WWII. Hope to see some of you guys from the Pacific Northwest there!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The show was a big success! Nice displays, and plenty to choose from for sale items. A friend bought a Marlin model 39 in really nice shape for $400! I bought a 1961 JC Higgins version of the 336, in .30-30 in excellent condition for $100. My nephew was looking for one like his dad's, so it went to him.
Also became a Marlin exposed hammer shotgun collector, all in one day! A guy brought me three Marlin pump shotguns; 1898, 16, and 19G. All are in various need of small repairs. One has a broken pump handle wood, one has a mismatched forearm, as the buttstock is garde B checkered, and one is sort of a single shot, as it wont open with the hammer down, without pushing the release button. Got them for $50 each, so I guess I've got some projects for the rest of the winter!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post your report. I always pick up some interesting info from your posts.

Bet you dug out Brophy's book when you got home to renew your knowledge on the Marlin pump shotguns! Or did you already have that info available in your famous Marlin magnet?

We've had a blast looking through all the stuff that my buddy bought from that estate sale. I've learned alot about WW2 .30-06 ammo, Garand clips, what old Sears Ted Williams .22LR ammo looked like, bought an RCBS powder measure for $25 and a really nice old model Ruger single six. Geez that is fun sifting thru all that stuff for the nuggets!

Yesterday my oldest boy turned 12 and my wife and I gave him a brand new Rem 870 Express 20 guage for his birthday. To see his happiness was something special to behold!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best,

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Gepff,
Yea, that's always fun looking at stuff that one doesn't see often. I bet your son was pretty surprised by that new 870! I know I would have been on cloud nine if I had gotten a new gun at that age!
I still need to read up some on Marlin pump shotguns. It's a weak point for me, as I've owned few, and sold them pretty fast, but never for much money. Still I figured at $50 each, I couldn't do worse than have fun, and break even someday! I will look into the one with cycling problem first, as it doesn't look too bad otherwise.
Here's a picture of the trio!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Marlinman,

That model 16 is a scarce one!! For comparison, mine is numbered in the 58XXX range. SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 16ga is marked Chicago Arms/AG The serial number is A332xx. It's the one that acts like a single shot, and wont pump without the release being pushed each time. A friend wants it pretty bad, so I told him to take it home, and if he could get it working, he could give me the $50 that I paid for it. Guess it's one less project!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts