Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sometimes it is not a matter of faith but more of a refusal that once upon a time these so called out dated guns and ammo actually shot very well, contrary to today's pessimistic authors that, in their magazine articles, insist the 44-40 is only decent...not even good...out to 100 yards. As I have mentioned in several of my blog posts and even one or two pages of the 44 WCF website, some people that have been dealing with the 44-40 for 50 years just have no clue to the true history of the cartridge and it's components. I continue to learn every day but it is the results of digging deep for information. Deep even into the sacred areas of the hard cord cartridge collectors that fear none in spending top dollar for artifacts and items that will never be on display for the public to view. Trespassing in such areas are met with great silence, reminding me of western movies were the stranger rides into town, corrupted by the authorities and the rich...too scared to look anyone in the face, he feels uneasy and never welcome. Some forums have also become scared of political correctness, not being allowed to post links (you know, places where the truth is documented) for which most of those that actually know the truths, are forced to flee....to which the idiocy continues.

One case of ignorance and refusal to learn, I vividly remember that took place back in 2008 on The Open Range forum here: New Challenge - match the target fired by E. H. PARDEE, M.D. back in 1875 Back when John Kort starting his own adventures into physical dealings with the 44-40 and it's capabilities. John opens up the topic with a challenge, yes...Doc Pardees 110yard shots all inside a 4" circle with the horrible and inaccurate 44 WCF black powder cartridge. The very first reply from a.k.a. Reverend P Babcock Chase, not only dissed the idea but went further to accuse the testimony of Doc Pardee as a lie. Rather than challenge his beliefs, prove the tail was indeed a lie, the Rev. did what most do.......wrapped his arms around hearsay rather than physical evidence.

This is what I have been up against since I started my adventures on the internet in 2010. I have discovered so much because I had to learn for myself the truth rather than listen to these old goats that have been wrong for 50 years. I soon discovered that I was learning what John had learned already. My findings were much in line with John's.

Not only did John Kort replicate Docs shots using black powder ammunition, he also nailed 7 consecutive steel javlinas at 300 meters.

Font Text Label

So whats weaker, the 73's action or the thin cylinder walls of the revolver? Does Winchester just not like Colt? Misprint? Things that make ya go hmmmmmm!!!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Interesting comments. From my own personal experiences with the 44-40, I have found that it is just as accurate, and definitely more consistent, than just about any other caliber in it's class (45 Colt, 44 Mag, etc.) All three I have owned (an EMF Dakota, a Beretta Stampede, and a Uberti short rifle with Octagonal barrel) were wonderfully accurate, and the fixed sight revolvers shot to point of aim much better than any other I have had. Honestly, I have not tried the Uberti at 100 yards, only 50. Wouldn't surprise me to get great accuracy out of it at that range as well.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the following load is modern. BUT! out of my Rossi 92 short rifle. a 200 gr Hornandy XTP 10 gr unique is very very accurate. expands well. 44.40 IS a great cal. a friend has a 73 winnie repro he uses . 200 lead bullet spg lube and B/P. good times!!
That 200gr XTP is a fine bullet!!!

Line Parallel

50 Yards, Reloder 7

Shooting sport Shooting Recreation Shooting range Precision sports

100 yards, IMR 4227

Text Line Font Illustration Art

100 yards, IMR 4198

I need to shoot some more with the 200gr XTP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.