Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/alflipo/weaver.jpg

Just closed a deal for this... it will be a bit before I have it in hand- it's gotta ship from the West Coast to my new address, which I don't even know the zip code for yet.... But I'm pretty excited over this one!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
110 Posts
Weaver V8

Hey Doc, I know that scope. Have one on a Savage 99 in 250-3000. Weaver V8 (2-1/2 to 8X) with the adjustments in the mount instead of internal. I like the scope, very clear and easy to pick up the picture. A little different in that the crosshair is also magnified when you go up in power, it gets thicker.

Some people don't like the external adjustment, but I do. You're gonna have fun with that one. Nice......

max

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Nice find Doc! I've never had one in my hands, just pictures! Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about the size of the pic- I changed it to a plain old link. I didn't realize how big it was.

This one has a plain fine cross hair reticle. I've heard of V-8's with a triple reticle. They seem to command a premium on the gun auction sites. There is no box or papers or caps with this scope. I'm curious about adjustment procedure on these. Is there something I have to release on the front ring in order to shift P.O.I.?

I've also seen these listed as a 50 mm objective on Flea-Pay.... is that correct?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
110 Posts
Doc....nothing marked on the scope to show objective size, so don't know.

The front mount is unusual, has a ring around the scope that is hooked to the mount by a single "pivot" screw. It looks like you could loosen it, but no marks on the screw to show that it has been loosened in the past. I just adjusted mine like a regular scope and it seemed to work. I didn't loosen the front mount pivot. But.....I could be doing this wrong as I don't have any instructions.

max

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, Max- Much appreciated. I only have one other external adjustment scope, and the convex surface of the front ring allows adjustment movement with the ring fully tightened. The Weaver system may work along a sinilar bent- I'll find out once I have it in hand.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It finally got here! I'm surprised by a couple of things with it.

It's quite light in weight- a bit lighter than my K-4. The mounts are entirely aluminum, except for the cross-bolts, screws and retaining plates.

The objective on this one is the largest I've seen yet on a Weaver- likely 48 mm in keeping with the honest way Weaver listed objective size.

Adjustments- The turret screws appear to be standard off the regular K and V series. They are finger-tip adjustable. The adjustment appears to be a "modernized" scaled down version of the old classic external adjustment systems. There is only one spring loaded pin providing tension to hold adjustments. I had expected two for some reason....

The zoom collar is quite tight to turn- not surprising as every old steel tube Weaver variable I've handled is like this.

This one's an old campaigner- hardly a pristine example- a definite shooter. Image is clear and bright up to about 6X. At that point, things dim slightly, and exit pupil becomes more critical. Eye relief shortens a bit towards the upper end of things as well.

I'm really impressed with this one. The growing reticle does not seem that bad to me- at 8X it's noticeable, but hardly a handi-cap. I like the 2 1/2 X at the bottom range- Incredible brightness and resolution here.

From what I can see of the adjustment system, the front pivot screw should be slightly loosened to avoid torquing that tank-tough steel tube when making adjustments....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Are you going to mount it on one of your guns, or ?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
marlinman93 said:
Are you going to mount it on one of your guns, or ?
Vall- I intend to shoot with it. Things are getting a little hairy in this area. I have more Weavers now than I have guns for. Right now, it's a toss-up between an old Ranger .22 bolt repeater, or an older single shot .22

I *THINK* I have 23 rifles- could be more. The number of steel tube Weavers on hand easily exceeds that. I know, an excuse to get another rifle!

Seriously, though, it will end up on the 52 repro for the first test phase. It does need some cleaning/carding with 000 extra fine steel wool before I will mount it...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 9 of 9 Posts