Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've closed a deal, and have one of these on the way to me- scope only. Deal includes box, papers, this schematic parts list, eye-cup, and No. 4 clamp on dovetail rings.

A bit off track of my Weaver addiction, but too interesting to pass up! I can't wait for it to get here! They say Mossbergitis is one of the hardest gun addictions there is to deal with. I had better tread carefully here! I've got enough to do with Marlins, Winnies, and single shot .22's and Weavers as it is. Then there's the milsurp thing and the german .22's, and the air pistols, and, and, and....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Hmmm... It sure looks lke the scope on my 152K Mossberg. Came with the rifle when Mom bought it for Dad in the early 50s. Dad gave it to me a long time ago, but it's still over there to keep the magpies & wabbits from getting to brassy. SW

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Very nice Doc! The Mossbergs were a great scope, and are pretty hard to find in that condition with all the papers too! Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I "borrowed" that pic from Damguy's new Mossberg site- pic is for representation purposes only. Seller assures me scope is in excellent condition. The stickler for me is the box and papers- my first bit of "seriousness" of any kind with collecting. I'll probably end up putting it on the old 39-A instead of that fancy variable that's on it now....

It's been a busy winter with 4 new to me Weavers. Lots of testing and shooting to look forward to once the back roads are drive-able again!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It came in today! I'm pretty impressed with it. I'd peg her around 95-98% condition. There are a couple of very slight pits on the bottom of the tube. Magnification is required to see them.

The box is in very poor condition. It is missing the end flap with the all important factory numbering info. Papers are in good shape considering their age. The parts list that came with it is older than the copy presented above- minimum order on my copy is 35 cents :shock: , while above, min. order is $1.00 :p

The mounts are interesting- the front ring is marked with an "L" It is slightly lower than the rear. The instruction sheet says to interchange the rings front to rear if the scope prints too high. Optically, it is quite a surprise. This one gets the nod over the 3/4" tube Weaver's as far as resolution goes. Focussing the crosshairs is done by sliding a small rectangular plate at the front of the tube. Adjustment is held by means of a small lock-screw.

I read that one of Mossberg's scopes was made by Wollensak. I'm curious as to whether Wollensak supplied lenses for the scopes Mossberg made.

Last big surprise is that the rear lens element has coatings! Quite unexpected on a scope of this vintage. I"m guessing between '52 and '55 by the various form dates on the Mossberg papers that came with it....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 6 of 6 Posts