Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if dies are available? Kaintuck? How about brass? Thanks for your time!! moodyholler

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Brass (reformed) is available through Buffalo Arms. Dies also by 4D. www.buffaloarms.com Both a bit costly but it sure makes a fine shooter.
Corious, Which of the Krags did you find, Carbine or Musket?
Reason I ask is that I have a near mint bringback WW11 Danish Musket that I have shot a few times with original Norma sporting ammo. Great shooter and quite a powerful round. Still have one full box of the ammo. :D
`57 Mountie has photos available if anyone wants to take a look.
Whichever model it is it`s a good find in shooting condition.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a full length rifle with original sling and what might be a good bore. I have to clean it up a little. Date is 1914 and it has a bunch of markings including small plaque (1/4 x 1/4) on the buttstock. moodyholler

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Sometimes the full lenght rifle was referred to as the musket version. It has the outer barrel protective sleve and full lenght wood. Barrel lenght 32 1/2", OAL of 53"
Mine is dated 1917.
Good luck with the cleanup and making a shooter out of it again.
`57 Mountie.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Thought I seen a recent listing for 30/40 Krag Lee dies in the SIR catalog not too long ago. I gave my copy away, so it'll be a bit before I can check.... Dang memory anyways!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Moody,

See also: http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=1

There are some pretty knowledgeable folks there, and they can point you in the right direction for loads, etc. Got a pic you could post? This is quite an effective hunting cartridge, and Norma offered factory ammo for the 8X58 Danish Krag at one time - you might luck into a couple boxes at a gun show. SW

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hogger, I think I'll try and turn it into something else and will try to post pictures tonight. It does have some pretty wood. moodyholler

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, after 500 strokes with brush, bore is good with no pitting but still dark in the grooves. Looks like a good shooter. Sight works and most gummy residue is soaking off. moodyholler

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Moody,

I have had good luck removing gummy residue with cheep rubbing alcohol - 79 cents the qt at wally. A curly brass dish scouring pad works well for the tough spots. SW

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Dang, I like that!! Sure wish I had something that struck your fancy. That 1889 I sent pics of is about the only lever on the trade list. SW

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hogger, did you see the stripe in that wood? It is a nice stock! moodyholler

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Duh- that'll teach me to browse without a coffee cup in my hand!

8x58 sounds inneresting!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Doc,

S'okay - it's tough to keep track of all the different calibers floating around out there.

Moody,

Yep, I picked right up on that! SW

1 - 16 of 16 Posts