Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many here remember B.P. Novum promoting his Blue Wonder gun care products on the old Marlin Talk wire? I never won any of his give aways, but the concern must be doing quite well. I picked up a 6 oz. tube of the bore cleaner at the local gun shop. No word yet on the Wonder Bluing, whether it will be available here or not.

At any rate, I put the bore cleaner to work on my old bubbarized Turk M-38 pattern '93 Mauser. It was quite heavily coppered up, and Hoppe's Bench Rest, Butch's Bore Shine, Ox-Yoke, and a few other "miracle" bore cleaners barely made a dent in the fouling in the grooves....

I saturated a patch with the Wonder stuff, and gave the bore a heavy coating. It has the consistency of very thick oil- almost a gel, but not quite. I let her soak in 15 min, and then had at it with a .30 cal phosphor bronze bore brush. ( I slugged the bore on this 8 mm and got .318", so will need a .32 cal brush to properly clean) I ran a dozen or so tight patches over a button tip jag through the bore, and the copper fouling was phenomnal- strands of copper about a half inch long were coming out on the patches. There was also a fair amount of lead in there too- possibly the Turks trained with cast boolits?

The bore looks a lot cleaner than I ever had it before- the grooves looked pitch black when I started. The lands are mirror bright now, and I expect the grooves to clean up even better with a proper fitting phosphor bronze brush...

Bottom line- The Blue Wonder Bore Cleaner lives up to the hype.

I posted this here, because it's likely that the majority of us on this page come across wicked bore fouling at times in our gun travels....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

G

·
I'm going to have to look for some. Right now I have a bore that refuses to give up the copper fouling and hope it clears up with the Wonder Blue.

Thanks Doc.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I recall the posts where he gave away a lot of stuff. I seem to remember it was cold blue. (??) I'll try some of that when I run across it. I have been using Forrests foaming bore cleaner. You spray some into the barrel & let it set for a half hour or so. Sure turns the 1st couple of patches blue!

A long time ago, I bought a half gallon of Hoppes #9 & I am still working on that. After 20 years, I have over half left. SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I remember the BP Novum giveaways quite well! I won one of them! I got the spray for sore muscles called, Muscle Wonder! Not sure how they got into this area, but it really does a great job on muscle aches! I've used the bore cleaner, and it too is fantastic!
As for the blung, I can't reccommend it. It's very spendy, and even after I followed all the steps to the letter, it did a poor job on a brand new barrel. It was touted as giving a finish as good as a professional bluing, but even after more assistance from their tech guru, it would not give a decent finish. I stripped it, and reblued with Brownell's Oxpho Blue, and it came out great. I've still got the rest of this stuff shoved in some corner of my work bench, and at $24 per ounce, ( or something like that?)it is just a reminder, not to get any more for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wasn't around during the promoting and giveaways but I picked up a tube a couple of months ago and followed the instruction when cleaning my model 92 32 rf/cf.

This is gun that when I bought it I said, well I can see the rifleing but ...

Bore near mirror now, great rifleing. The blue goop didn't make a new barrel but it sure cleaned out alot of crud. I was impressed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts