Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to see if this is posted somewhere else on the Marlin Owners forum but I couldn’t find it. So, i guess here is a good start for location.

D4062600-C2B4-4BE6-8E8A-9AB1BF5DBD91.png

In in case you are wondering, this is a screen shot from the NRA competitor web. I was checking my classifications and for silhouette classifications, a $15 annual fee is now required. I know they’re working to save our second amendment rights, but is this another money grab? I could understand it from both sides, but I’ve read a bit on the mismanagement of funds at the NRA following Oliver North’s departure. If the NRA house was in order, then I could be convinced to donate, but isn’t that what we pay dues for? Are we being forced to pay for our classifications so that the upper management can maintain their lavish perks? I’m a little P.O.’d about this and will probably just keep the classification cards I have regardless of how I improve over the years.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Emmett those are very valid questions. I too am also perturb / confused by upper management spending at the NRA and the lack of transparency.
I am a Life member and don't plan on quitting. Good or bad they are still the biggest dog on the block. With all that said last year I became a life member of GOA and SAF organizations. I also joined TFA (TN Firearms owners Association).
I still donate some to the NRA but it is less than years past. GOA & SAF are getting donations. We need to grow these other pro 2A groups. I have to think if the GOA & SAF both had several million members the NRA might be more willing to listen to everyday members like you and I.
A friend of mine from Kentucky called me the other day. NRA is going to have their annual meeting this year in Nashville. We are planing on going. I went to one back in 2008 in Louisville and had a great time. This time I'm going to try to find some NRA representatives that might be willing to listen to everyday folks.
Good luck with your shooting.

·
Super Moderator
10,922 Posts
The way I see it the NRA's biggest success is become the demon that all the libs point to.
Regardless of how unfair and untrue it is they have been successfully stained and demonized beyond repair.
This affects their usefulness and effectiveness in the political arena.
The GOA has stepped in as our most effective advocates because they have NOT been demonized yet and focus entirely on the political and judicial threats to our rights.
Eric Pratt also does not live a lavish lifestyle and is intimately involved with the machinations of his organization.
Contrast that with LaPierre who dresses and acts like a mogul while depending on people like Dana Loesch to do PR battle for him.
Aside from preaching to the faithful what does LaPierre do exactly?
Then we have scandals like NRA funds used to put up a mistress under the guise of business.
GOA hires lobbyists to tweak the ears of the state legislatures. They do a fine job of rallying the troops and getting the legislators to listen.
My guess on additional fees and such is the NRA has been successfully blackballed by activists who scream and hold their breath until support is removed.
That leaves the members to take up the slack because God forbid LaPierre take a step back from suits that cost more than a good used vehicle.
Maybe it's time for the NRA to go back to their roots.

·
Super Moderator
10,922 Posts
I dropped them years ago! all they ever did was call and harass me for money. they do nothing for our rights anymore,,,,,,,,,,,,,
To be honest GOA can send out some pretty hysterical gloom and doom unless we get support emails.
I now send them to email dumpster.

·
Premium Member
10,401 Posts
I will send them money as they do more here in Florida to fight the anti gun laws than anyone else. I also believe they do more than any others on a national level. Do you really think they anti gunners would have the hate for them and be trying as hard as they do to cripple them if they do nothing for gun rights? I would pay double the annual dues just to keep them going if they didn't do anything but tick off the anti gunners. People who will not even pay $25.00 a year to support them are just super cheap or so hard headed they are going to cut off their nose to spite their face in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
10,922 Posts
I will send them money as they do more here in Florida to fight the anti gun laws than anyone else. I also believe they do more than any others on a national level. Do you really think they anti gunners would have the hate for them and be trying as hard as they do to cripple them if they do nothing for gun rights? I would pay double the annual dues just to keep them going if they didn't do anything but tick off the anti gunners. People who will not even pay $25.00 a year to support them are just super cheap or so hard headed they are going to cut off their nose to spite their face in my opinion.
As I said the NRA has "brand recognition". Unfortunately it's working against them.
I love the NRA and hate that they've devolved into yet another charity that abuses trust by enriching the people running it.
I dunno about Florida but here in Texas the GOA is right in the middle of any and all gun bills.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I have probably said here before or on other forums but today's NRA reminds me of the Teamsters Union way back in the 1980's. They top heavy with a lot of their management and it appears to be a close knit circle.
I have no doubt there is mismanagement of money. For an organization that large it would be hard to watch everything closely. I wonder if they ever have someone audit their books? The company I am with only grosses 100 million a year but we have a yearly audit.
The NRA would benefit from a good dose of sunshine. If everything was laid out for anyone to review it would keep folks in line and limit what the liberal anti gunners can stir up. Last year Cuomo and company found something to stir up the NRA membership and they got us squabbling amongst ourselves. Spirited debate is always good but we need to be united against the anti-gunners. Again I think growing other Pro 2A groups is good so the liberals would have fight on several flanks rather than just focusing on the big dog.

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Although still a member and will consider it at renewal time, I have since joined both the GOA and the VCDL.

They ask for less and seem to do more.
Yep! I am sending them my money since they do more for VA than what the NRA does. The NRA is HQed here and should do more.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's difficult (or just unlikely) for large organizations to keep on track. The anti-gun crowd still hates the NRA with a passion, so I'm staying in the NRA for second amendment purposes. But I'll be pleasantly surprised if the competitions division ever gets back to the way it was years ago. CMP seems to be more supportive of competitive shooting these days .

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I do not have a problem with paying my dues to the NRA. I round up my Midway and throw a few bucks in NRA-ILA fishbowls when they are out.

Now to the OP's question. I would pay that in a heartbeat. I just wish that I did not have drive a couple hundred miles to compete in LAS matches. Nothing around NE Indiana to make it worth the effort.
Friendship has black powder, but not Levers.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
It's difficult (or just unlikely) for large organizations to keep on track. The anti-gun crowd still hates the NRA with a passion, so I'm staying in the NRA for second amendment purposes. But I'll be pleasantly surprised if the competitions division ever gets back to the way it was years ago. CMP seems to be more supportive of competitive shooting these days .
The real hope is in the kids. More schools are doing rifle, airgun and trap as club sports. So there is hope.

Reactions: 336 Fan

·
Registered
131 Posts
I’m a lifetime NRA member; my children are as well.
I’m not a fan of Wayne and have difficulty understanding why he is still there.

The NRA needs some serious changes, immediately. No more financial support from my house until Wayne is gone; his usefulness to the NRA has expired.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Don’t agree with a lot of what the NRA does to promote membership and all the garbage going on with upper echelon, but they are still the biggest dog in the fight for 2nd A rights

1 - 20 of 23 Posts