Discussion Starter #2
This is what the rifle looks like new.

Browning-BL-22-NRA-Grade-I-021109-433hr (2).jpg

Thanks!

ca'jun56

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Can't help with the value, but everyone I've ever picked up was beautiful, with an action that felt like if was on ball bearings. Hope you get it today!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Anybody has one like this? It has NRA stamped on stock, going look at one tomorrow. Value if any on it. JKing!

Info if you know about them.

Thanks

ca'jun56
Not sure of the value. I have an older one, but it's not an "NRA" stamped example.

Have you checked it out, yet?

·
Registered
29,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I texted as he ask and no response from seller. Text was sent this morning.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
526 Posts
My buddy raises beef cattle. Has had a Browning lever .22 hanging in his barn, covered with dust and cobwebs, for many years. Pest control, I guess, but it seems a shame to see it in such a state of neglect.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
142 Posts
My buddy raises beef cattle. Has had a Browning lever .22 hanging in his barn, covered with dust and cobwebs, for many years. Pest control, I guess, but it seems a shame to see it in such a state of neglect.
Ouch! Makes me cringe to read that.

I have many friends who are hunters, etc., and they all seem to treat their firearms in a similar manner. You wouldn't believe how many of my friends' firearms I've restored, fixed, etc. I don't believe in gun laws, but some people shouldn't own them from the standpoint that they don't take care of their equipment. Sad, indeed.

But an old cowboy? Yeah, that's just a tool. He ain't concerned about it...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have one, not the NRA edition tho. Its the smallest of all my lever action 22's. I love the short throw of the lever. Fun little shooter.

Value...I'd say $400-$500 in very good condition.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ouch! Makes me cringe to read that.

I have many friends who are hunters, etc., and they all seem to treat their firearms in a similar manner. You wouldn't believe how many of my friends' firearms I've restored, fixed, etc. I don't believe in gun laws, but some people shouldn't own them from the standpoint that they don't take care of their equipment. Sad, indeed.

But an old cowboy? Yeah, that's just a tool. He ain't concerned about it...
I used to pheasant hunt with a co-worker who one day proudly showed me a used-but-near-new Browning Citori he had just bought. Within a year, the bluing was gone as was much of the finish on the now scratched and gouged stock. When we would return to his truck, ready to head to another field, he would literally toss the gun into the bed of his truck, without casing it. I was appalled! He was also a waterfowl hunter who frequented the local salt marshes. After hunting in the salt, he'd scrub it with steel wool. To some people, it really is just a tool.

·
Registered
407 Posts
cajun56, you have probably already looked at the NRA Browning BL22, and maybe bought it. That Browning is a really nice 22 lever rifle. Here is my opinion though. I personally don't like any NRA branding on any item I would buy or win at a NRA event. I am a life member of the NRA but to me the insignia cheapens the guns or knives, etc. In my eyes the BL22 isn't worth as much as a non branded one. Just my opinion but I would lower my offer by $100 at least. Then I would try to remove the lettering off the stock. At least it isn't printed on the metal, as I've see some done in the past. Those are really ugly.

Let us know how it went

·
Registered
29,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cajun56, you have probably already looked at the NRA Browning BL22, and maybe bought it. That Browning is a really nice 22 lever rifle. Here is my opinion though. I personally don't like any NRA branding on any item I would buy or win at a NRA event. I am a life member of the NRA but to me the insignia cheapens the guns or knives, etc. In my eyes the BL22 isn't worth as much as a non branded one. Just my opinion but I would lower my offer by $100 at least. Then I would try to remove the lettering off the stock. At least it isn't printed on the metal, as I've see some done in the past. Those are really ugly.

Let us know how it went
Well I never heard back from the person selling it! Maybe it's gone! It's no problem if it is! My feelers are out for other Marlins!

Thanks!

Here is a picture of rifle.

p15534760047497960.jpeg

ca'jun56

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have to agree with Maropolo above. I prefer non-labeled, non-commemorative firearms. I have a couple of Sam Houston, consecutive serial numbered colt SAA .45s and they do nothing but take up space. Nice to have, but entirely unnecessary in my opinion. Had a DU labeled Benelli Black Eagle awhile back. Sold it for money and trade (Ruger 10/22). BUT... Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, so I would never scoff at one's purchase of such firearms. In fact, I'd likely encourage it, if that's what someone wants. Better to buy a gun with NRA stamped on it that to not buy a gun at all!

Anyway, I'm sorry things didn't work out for you, Cajun! Perhaps it was just not meant to be.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I used to pheasant hunt with a co-worker who one day proudly showed me a used-but-near-new Browning Citori he had just bought. Within a year, the bluing was gone as was much of the finish on the now scratched and gouged stock. When we would return to his truck, ready to head to another field, he would literally toss the gun into the bed of his truck, without casing it. I was appalled! He was also a waterfowl hunter who frequented the local salt marshes. After hunting in the salt, he'd scrub it with steel wool. To some people, it really is just a tool.
I certainly understand, but when said tool stops working because it's been so abused, that's where I begin scratching my head! Heck, if you have means to purchase a Citori only to use it as a paint scraper, rug beater, concrete mixer or what have you, then I say go right ahead and do it. Lol

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I had a friend with coke bottle glasses and we were in our early twenties and he would shoot pennies tossed in the air. We would go out to old Camp Beauregard an old WWII base and shoot shotgun shells off rebar of the pushed in foundations at 75-100 yards. Only short brass. Plastic hits didn't count. It was very accurate.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
A BL22 is definitely on my short list of what I would acquire if the right deal came along. Wish they made it in a 22 mag.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts