Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Man, some of you are a tough crowd; Henry comes out with a loading gate and addresses the complaint that their rifles couldn't be topped off or loaded without putting your hand over the muzzle and it still isn't good enough?

I don't dislike the tube feed myself, it goes from empty to full faster than a side gate and vice versa; and saves the thumbs and doesn't grab gloves.

I've never had a mag tube problem with a Henry myself, though I don't have one of their side loaders so maybe something about the internal tube makes it worse than a regular side loader. I can't say I've even heard of the mag tube retention on a Henry ever causing a problem either.

Maybe too many options is a bad thing for some, but when I hunt I do it with a full magazine. I usually don't shoot the whole magazine though, so the simplified unloading is nice in my opinion.

It would be nice to see them expand the short action calibers for the LR. One of the big issues a lot of people have with lever guns is the external ballistics since most are tube fed; there really aren't a lot of box fed lever options. I believe Miroku is making the 1895, there's the Browning BLR, and then Henry's LR. It would be cool to see the Savage 99 come back.

Yeah I thought the stocks on those were gaudy when they first released them. Really I think the brass receivers are kind of garish too. I would like to see them come out with case hardened and all weather rifles with loading gates.
Yep,read a few reports and seen pictures where the tube cracked and split around the lock-up pin because of recoil. That is a weak design. I have the older version of the 44 magnum and I worry about it. The 45-70's would be a worry also. Henry is addressing the problem and now is beefing up the tube with a collar in that area. If you go to their website and view the carbine models,you might see what I mean with the collar. It stands out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Jack what I can't seem to find out is do they have wood pistol grips, I know they do in the all weather ???
The regular blued and the case hardened models both do

Yep,read a few reports and seen pictures where the tube cracked and split around the lock-up pin because of recoil. That is a weak design. I have the older version of the 44 magnum and I worry about it. The 45-70's would be a worry also. Henry is addressing the problem and now is beefing up the tube with a collar in that area. If you go to their website and view the carbine models,you might see what I mean with the collar. It stands out.
The inner or outer tube?

·
Registered
282 Posts
The inner or outer tube?
It has been the outer tube cracking around the lock pin - mostly on the .45-70 and and the .44 mag.

Henry has remedied this by incorporating the inner tube lock with the forward outer tube support.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
It has been the outer tube cracking around the lock pin - mostly on the .45-70 and and the .44 mag.

Henry has remedied this by incorporating the inner tube lock with the forward outer tube support.
Some seem to have forgotten that H.R.A. takes care of their rifles as long as they are on this planet. Also they make about 300 thousand a year so I think that makes them number one by quite a bit. They use a transfer bar on the external hammer rifles so no idiot crossbolt safety. I have a Savage 99-358 but I don't think the 99 will ever be made again because no one would pay the price that the new ones would have to be sold for.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The regular blued and the case hardened models both do

The inner or outer tube?
It's the outer tube where the pin of the inner tube locks into the slot that is splitting on some rifles so they have a heavier collar design in that area on some of their lever actions. Somebody had posted pictures of tears in that area on the Henry website and I have heard of this problem from others in the past but it was after I had already bought mine.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Mike, the blued walnut I 'm contemplating does: Lever Action .45-70 | Henry Repeating Arms

Jack
Jack....I have this rifle. I love it. Took two buck with it the first two years I took it out. I left it open sights except I replaced the factory with fiber optic (two rear green dots, one front red dot). The first buck surprised me, I doubled back on him. from the time I saw him to the time he was dead was less than 5 seconds...and...at 100 yards. I love how fast this rifle can acquire a target with open sights.

I've never had an issue with the tube load only magazine. I like that I can unload it in 2 seconds without cycling the lever except for the last chambered round. Loading it, I drop a round into the action but I don't close the lever all the way. Just enough to pull the cartridge lifter off the bottom. Then pull the tube, add 4, then close up the action and then bring the hammer down. It's not that difficult once you get the hang of it.

redhawk

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I am sure the after market will come up with a fixed tube.

I would like to see a button magazine, with a bit longer forearm. Take the tube out to load. For hunting, a lower capacity would be fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I am sure the after market will come up with a fixed tube.

I would like to see a button magazine, with a bit longer forearm. Take the tube out to load. For hunting, a lower capacity would be fine.
What is a button magazine?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My wish list for a lever si a longer barrel like on my 24" Marlins. Especially in the Long Ranger. The 6.5 CM is a 22" barrel and why not in the 308 as well.

AS to the LG feature. I generally load the Marlins with 3 rounds, one in the chamber and 2 in the magazine. The loading gate feature smashes the bullet noses and is a pain. I do not remember a time when I have had to "top off" my magazine as it is more of a combat feature than a hunting feature. Nor would I need to have more rounds in the rifle than what the magazine holds and could just fill the magazine and work the lever for the chambered round.

I have a Henry in 22 magnum and really like the little rifle. 24" barrel model for balance and open sight shooting.

DEP

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm waiting for them to put a LG on their Big Boy series, specifically on a 41 Magnum. When they do, I'm there. I've got Marlins and Rossi's in 44 Mag, 45 Colt, and 357 magnum, so the only thing I'm missing is 41 magnum to go with a 4-5/8" Ruger Blackhawk.

I'm with you on this. I have one of their .41 Mag's and would prefer to have one with the side loading feature.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What would you all like to see them make next? ...
Yup, Henry rifles are known for lever actions, and yet I would like to see Henry make a single shot rim-fire: .22LR or .22 magnum. Or both.

The Henry center-fire single shot rifles are nice, very NICE rifles. I know, I have one. A single shot rim-fire could be an instant classic, IMHO. Format: 16"-18" barrel, aperture sights

Maybe I'm just getting old and set in my ways, but i know I'd buy one (or two) for my grandchildren to learn upon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like RimFirefly's idea but I would like the single shot in a 17 HRM or if I can't have that I want one in 327 Magnum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hear they make pretty good Rifles and seen they make a sideloader now too. But what genius ever thought, OK lets do the sideloader, great idea, but lets leave the Magazine tube filler also and call it dual purpose and add a unnecessary part to break or lose. I do give em credit for the sideloading gate, none for leaving the internal magazine tube. Stupid.

Maybe I like traditional to much. But that was a lame thing to do.
I don't think it's stupid. Gives you a safer and quicker way to unload if needed. I love keeping both options. Just hope they do it on all models eventually.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts