Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you all like to see them make next?

Personally I would like to see them put the black wood from the all weather rifles on the X models. I suppose you could do that yourself if you could get them to sell you the end cap for the forend, but after watching a video on how to remove the forend it appears that you essentially have to take to rifle all the way apart in order to do it which would be a huge pain.

·
Super Moderator
26,215 Posts
Well, the Henry X rifles furniture isn't wood but their All Weather (AW) rifles are wood. I've handled an AW in 45-70 and it was a very well built firearm. Although, I did find that dark furniture a tad slippery and imagine that would increase in wet weather. Still, I'd like the dark wood furniture on the X models better than what they currently have.

Personally, I've had discussions with Henry's production manager, nice fellow, regarding when they'll put a LG on their blued/walnut 45-70. They will do so but probably not soon. When they do, I'd be inclined to open my wallet for one.

Jack

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm still waiting for the SLG on the blued/walnut in 35 Rem. I'm not much for the brass receivers....just a personal preference...nothing against brass really.

redhawk

Reactions: North Idaho Shooter

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the Henry X rifles furniture isn't wood but their All Weather (AW) rifles are wood. I've handled an AW in 45-70 and it was a very well built firearm. Although, I did find that dark furniture a tad slippery and imagine that would increase in wet weather. Still, I'd like the dark wood furniture on the X models better than what they currently have.

Personally, I've had discussions with Henry's production manager, nice fellow, regarding when they'll put a LG on their blued/walnut 45-70. They will do so but probably not soon. When they do, I'd be inclined to open my wallet for one.

Jack
Hmm, that will make a nice counterpart to my case hardened 45-70 Tube Feeder

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
They make the Long Range in two different "platforms". One shoots .223 and the other shoots .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .308. All have 20" barrels with the exception of the 6.5 which has a 22" barrel. All are listed at 7 pounds.

What I would like to see is an 18" barreled version in 6.8 SPC. In my opinion it's the best .223 length commercial deer class cartridge for a short barreled rifle. I have an 18" barreled AR in 6.8 SPC and the ballistics from that little .270 caliber (.277") cartridge are impressive. Recoil would be more than it is with the .223 but less than with any of the other cartridges currently offered in the Long Range. By cutting a couple of inches off the front of the barrel it would lighten the rifle a tad and get it below 7 pounds. Also, it would bring the center of gravity back a smidgen, and make the rifle a little quicker and more responsive in the hand.

If they offered one like that I'd buy it now.

·
Super Moderator
26,215 Posts
I'm waiting for them to put a LG on their Big Boy series, specifically on a 41 Magnum. When they do, I'm there. I've got Marlins and Rossi's in 44 Mag, 45 Colt, and 357 magnum, so the only thing I'm missing is 41 magnum to go with a 4-5/8" Ruger Blackhawk.

Ditto on the BB (blued walnut) in 41MAG, I'd be all over one real quick!

Jack

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I hear they make pretty good Rifles and seen they make a sideloader now too. But what genius ever thought, OK lets do the sideloader, great idea, but lets leave the Magazine tube filler also and call it dual purpose and add a unnecessary part to break or lose. I do give em credit for the sideloading gate, none for leaving the internal magazine tube. Stupid.

Maybe I like traditional to much. But that was a lame thing to do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Those Henry Side Loaders are promotion pieces are they not?
With "Henry" carved in big letters in the fore stock?
Their other rifles are not like that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I do give em credit for the sideloading gate, none for leaving the internal magazine tube. Stupid.
Ditto this!

I have already read about some having the same problem with the side loader many have experienced with the tube feed already and that being the rims of the rounds catching on the edge of the mouth of the inner load tube.

I discovered a simple fix for this and possibly saved many the headache of sending their rifle back to Henry only to have it come back with the same problem. Swapping out the inner tube for a new one does not solve the problem and Henry should have went with a typical closed tube with the side loaders.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Though I have a Henry Big Boy Steel in 44 magnum, I still can't quite get to liking the tube feed over the side gate of the Marlin. Sometimes loading the tube on the Henry is just to awkward for me. Sure, They have side gates coming out now but until they do away with the tube feed altogether, I wouldn't be happy. Why have two different loading systems on the same rifle? It just seems cheezie. I recently had a choice to make when buying a 45 colt rifle. It was either the new Henry with the improved tube feed design where it is beefed up around the pin lock up or a new Remlin. On close examination of the new Remlin which was made in 2017, I came away with the Remlin because Remington and their QC got this one right. Looks to me like Henry is trying to capture the AR crowd with their plastic stocks and rails to attach lasers or lights. What's with that? It's a step backwards as far as I am concerned. Just my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,372 Posts
I believe Henry is doing what it needs to in order to survive, an flourish. The up an coming hunters an shooters are of the AR crowd. We are fortunate to have the best of both worlds right now.

Reactions: Mike 2010

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You know...I love my pull tube magazine on my Henry 45-70. A SLG to me is to add additional cartridges after a shot during a hunt. By pulling the tube the rifle can be completely unloaded WITHOUT cycling the lever and cocking the hammer except to unload the chamber. I love this safety feature.

redhawk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man, some of you are a tough crowd; Henry comes out with a loading gate and addresses the complaint that their rifles couldn't be topped off or loaded without putting your hand over the muzzle and it still isn't good enough?

I don't dislike the tube feed myself, it goes from empty to full faster than a side gate and vice versa; and saves the thumbs and doesn't grab gloves.

I've never had a mag tube problem with a Henry myself, though I don't have one of their side loaders so maybe something about the internal tube makes it worse than a regular side loader. I can't say I've even heard of the mag tube retention on a Henry ever causing a problem either.

Maybe too many options is a bad thing for some, but when I hunt I do it with a full magazine. I usually don't shoot the whole magazine though, so the simplified unloading is nice in my opinion.

They make the Long Range in two different "platforms". One shoots .223 and the other shoots .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .308. All have 20" barrels with the exception of the 6.5 which has a 22" barrel. All are listed at 7 pounds.

What I would like to see is an 18" barreled version in 6.8 SPC. In my opinion it's the best .223 length commercial deer class cartridge for a short barreled rifle. I have an 18" barreled AR in 6.8 SPC and the ballistics from that little .270 caliber (.277") cartridge are impressive. Recoil would be more than it is with the .223 but less than with any of the other cartridges currently offered in the Long Range. By cutting a couple of inches off the front of the barrel it would lighten the rifle a tad and get it below 7 pounds. Also, it would bring the center of gravity back a smidgen, and make the rifle a little quicker and more responsive in the hand.

If they offered one like that I'd buy it now.
It would be nice to see them expand the short action calibers for the LR. One of the big issues a lot of people have with lever guns is the external ballistics since most are tube fed; there really aren't a lot of box fed lever options. I believe Miroku is making the 1895, there's the Browning BLR, and then Henry's LR. It would be cool to see the Savage 99 come back.

Those Henry Side Loaders are promotion pieces are they not?
With "Henry" carved in big letters in the fore stock?
Their other rifles are not like that.
Yeah I thought the stocks on those were gaudy when they first released them. Really I think the brass receivers are kind of garish too. I would like to see them come out with case hardened and all weather rifles with loading gates.

·
Super Moderator
26,215 Posts
Well, I'm not against a load tube only Henry 45-70. I watched Hickok-45's review of one that was blued walnut, he struggled figuring out how to load 4+1 and never figured it out how to do so safely.

Simple, load the tube with the lever open, close the tube and top off through the ejection port, and close the lever. Ones hand never being in front of the muzzle when loading the +1 in the chamber.

With 45-70, unless you're a very poor shooter, I can't imagine needing more than 5 rounds.

Then again, the SLG just looks correct on a lever. Even though the loading tube is quick and easy to load.

Jack

Reactions: Travlin and quiet22

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Jack what I can't seem to find out is do they have wood pistol grips, I know they do in the all weather ???

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Super Moderator
26,215 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts