Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting started sort of in the reloading game. I am presently shooting 38 gr. of IMR 4350 over 100 gr. nosler BT in my 250 savage and getting outstanding accuracy. My question is this- those reloads where done back in 1993. The components and powder to load them again will be newer as I shot up all the powder/bullets. Can I expect identical accuracy w/ the same # powder and weight of bullet? Also, will a powder of identical numeber from a different brand produce consistient results? (i.e. Hodgdon vs IMR) your experiences would be helpful. Thanks CL

·
Registered
729 Posts
Don't ever substitute similar numbered brands of powder.Get a good reloading manual and follow the recipe diligently. You can use the same components{if you can find them} in your new reloads but you need to back-off to the starting loads in the manual and work up slowly watching for pressure signs. Don't substitute Hodgdon for IMR numbers or IMR numbers for Hodgdon. If you don't want to go by a reloading manual back off about 10 percent on the IMR 4350 for a starting load and go from there. Any time you change brands of components[primers, bullets, cases] or lot numbers of powder you need to rework your loads. Best to be on the safe side. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Clover, the BTs don't seem to have changed. You'll probably get the same accuracy although you may have to juggle the charge a grain or so.

You did not say what rifle you are shooting. If it's a modern bolt, 38 grains of any of the 4350s is a reasonable starting point. If it's a Savage 99, I'd cut back a couple of grains and work up.

Most .250-3000 data cuts off at 45k cup. That's not unreasonable in a Savage 99, but it's way low in a newish Ruger or Remington. With those, you are likely to run out of powder space before you run into pressure problems.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply's guy's I would'nt exceede the recommended loads. The rifle is a is a custom built on an FN 300 Mauser action. I would bet that one will hold up!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
CloverLeaf -

Much as a chev 3.5L motor is not a ford 3.5L motor... IMR4350 is not H4350 which is not AA4350, ie, what the others have said is correct. In taking our data for the 6.5 swede we shot all three 4350's (all temperature matched, all using the same batch of hornady 160gr RNs etc) - I just uploaded the resulting pw vs v graph to our website www.gmdr.com/levern/6555-4350.jpg [as you can see the AA and IMR are close to the same powders, but the H is faster]. (You'll also find that 4198's, 4227's and 4381's also have this same "problem"). W/re 4350's - we've found the AA to be the cheapest and tends to shoot somewhat better than the IMR; the H is the most expensive, but meters the best, and likewise shoots the most consistently... YMMV. The AA at $10/lb on sale is hard to say no to, but we use the H as our 4350 reference.

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts